Alternate Day Diet.

Options
Hello,

I just came across the Alternate Day Diet online - http://www.everydiet.org/diet/alternate-day-diet - and I find it intriguing.

On the one hand, I would love to do this, as it means I don't have to sacrifice all the things I enjoy most, and it's not a constant diet. However, I don't know if I could survive on 500 calories a day (at the beginning, that's what's recommended).

I am interested in hearing people's opinions on this diet....

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day - not enough, not worth it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most opinions on here will be that diets are usually not something you can maintain and usually once you quit the diet you gain back the weight... So changing your lifestyle is the more sustainable option. Also, anything that wants you to eat 500 calories a day (unless medically supervised) is probably not about your health.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it is similar to the Eat Stop Eat approach of IF...
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It's just another take in intermittent fasting and intermittent fasting can be a great tool for people who are okay'd by their doctors and have normal blood sugar levels. I've had great results staggering my calorie intake and doing IF consistently since February of last year, no strength loss, no problems came from in, and I lost 3% BF since then. In fact I've done 20k runs fasted with BCAA supplementation only. Google Fast 5 it's pretty similar.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    it is similar to the Eat Stop Eat approach of IF...

I <3 Brad Pilon. :D
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your trolling boat.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Ok so I read all about it and normally I would say 500 calories is ridiculous! However I see where it is going with it and I can understand what they are doing for it. They are trying to get your body to burn faster and not put it into starvation mode. So the up days I would say eat what your body would need for the day. Like 2000 calories and then on the down days that would be your 500 calories. Essentially it is the same as me eating 1400 calories a day. Lets face it 3500 calories burned equals 1 pound gone so as long as you are not going extreme and you can handle it then try it. Just make sure to eat normal on the up days. Good Luck
  • ConorFYG
    Options
    Whatever floats your trolling boat.

You're calling me a troll?!
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tried this and got EXTREMELY ill. My immune system crashed and my digestive system got all out of wack and I actually gained more weight because on the days that were supposed to be 500 calorie days my body just stored it all.
  • ConorFYG
    Options
    I think I might try this out for awhile and see how it goes... Just a few questions?

1) If you're going to consume around 3,500 calories on your eating day, does it render the diet pointless?
    2) Are you wasting your time if you have two eat days in a row because of sports, etc, when you need to eat properly -- even if you just eat around 1,500 calories?
    3) Does your calorie intake have to be as low as 500 at the beginning to make this effective?

Does anyone have a link to download either this book or Eat Stop Eat for free?
  • jerandder
    Options
    I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and have lost 6.5 lbs. I really like it, haven't felt any ill effects, except for the first down day when I got a headache. I have found that my appetite is actually curbed, especially on my Up days. I'm not sure what to contribute this to, except perhaps that I am eating more protein and fiber on those days than I used to. I can also see myself maintaining this way of eating long term. Psychologically, I am able to "deprive" myself every other day, keeping in mind that I will be able to indulge the next day. On the mornings of my Up days, I am so happy! I get to eat!! I have been tracking my food pretty consistently, so I don't go crazy on my Up days.