Try to Avoid Processed Foods

Options
alice
alice Posts: 25 Member
If there is anything I've figured out over the years is how to read the nutrition labels and just exactly what they mean. It doesn't stop there - the Ingredients is VERY important too. MSG has been tested extensively in the USA and there was a news broadcast on it. I will post it some other time for all of you to watch. It is a real eye opener.

MSG can cause heart disease, obesity, increases cancer growth in cancer patients, is responsible for ADD in children, etc.

I have developed a reaction to MSG and now turn to the more organic foods. They are more expensive, but I found that the Presidents Choice products (most) do not have MSG.

Sodium and Trans Fat are very concerning too.
Just thought I would share this with all of you. Will try to list the url for all of you to see it for yourselves.
alice

Replies

• alice
    Options
    If there is anything I've figured out over the years is how to read the nutrition labels and just exactly what they mean. It doesn't stop there - the Ingredients is VERY important too. MSG has been tested extensively in the USA and there was a news broadcast on it. I will post it some other time for all of you to watch. It is a real eye opener.

MSG can cause heart disease, obesity, increases cancer growth in cancer patients, is responsible for ADD in children, etc.

I have developed a reaction to MSG and now turn to the more organic foods. They are more expensive, but I found that the Presidents Choice products (most) do not have MSG.

Sodium and Trans Fat are very concerning too.
    Just thought I would share this with all of you. Will try to list the url for all of you to see it for yourselves.
    alice
  • alice
    Options
    here is the website I was referring to in my original message.
    http://www.msgmyth.com
  • alice
    Options
    sorry this is the right source for the video info on MSG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbk5O_Hkf8

More to this 3 part series can be viewed here at youtube.

Sorry for the previous post
    alice
  • ranibauer
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I had no idea MSG was that bad...
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have heard these things before, my mom suffers from terrible migraines, and MSG is one of the "triggers" - I try to avoid it as much as I can, I am afraid I will develop a reaction similiar to hers. Thanks for the post!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    its not just msg, its the sweetner in diet drinks as well. a man wrote a book "I'm Fat and It's All Your Fault" in that book he lists 10 foods to stay away from. since i have left processed carbs alone I have seen better results from my workouts and other benefits like being able to grow my nails long without chipping or breaking.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This thread is 9 years old - I'd be surprised if any of these people are still on the site.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was the op that brought it back. Probably just someone who searched for "clean eating" or whatever and the thread came up.

I was actually gonna go get some popcorn and watch the fireworks in the thread. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I agree that MSG can be a migraine trigger for some people.

It isn't for me and neither are artificial sweeteners in diet drinks etc.

So, No,I do not avoid either.

And i have successfully reached my goal weight and maintained there for 2 years, so didn't interfere with weight loss either.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I cram msg and aspartame all day every day. Good times.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

lol I was gonna say the same. MSG on occasion though. Dat *kitten* is good.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Every time I am convinced I've seen the oldest necro-thread. :heart:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Same! I'll just sit here and wait for my heart disease and obesity.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

lol I was gonna say the same. MSG on occasion though. Dat *kitten* is good.

+3.
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I was bulking for the first time (gaining weight) I ate tons of processed foods. I wasn't completely informed about nutrition and would eat pretty much anything I wanted. Well, I used to eat this way for about 9 months straight and most of the time I felt horrible (too tired, feet hurting, sleepy, with no energy, depressed, etc.) I even thought I developed diabetics because I was feeling very, very bad, but the doctor said everything seemed fine from the lab tests, even though I felt so healthy. It was until about 4 months ago that I started eating very healthy and I have felt fantastic! no more pains, low energy, even no more depression! (no joke)

So, my tip, avoid all junky processed foods (high sugar cereals, cookies, twinkies, etc.). or eat them with careful moderation.

I know there are processed foods that are actually good and healthy, could someone recommend some?