Am I netting too few calories?

Options
I am new to MFP. I am wondering if I am netting too few calories. Some days, after exercise, I am well under 1000 calories (net). Today, after entering the food I plan on eating and after putting in my exercise, my net is about 230! I know that sometimes eating too few calories can ruin your "diet". Is there a minimum I should not go below? What are some suggestions for getting more calories without sabotaging myself?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It seems to be around 1200 or so is what you should be above. If you go under that on occasion wont hurt, but try to stay above it.
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are going under your minimum regularly...then you probably should eat more. If it's something that happens only very rarely, I don't think you should be too worried about it.
  • saphfireangel
    saphfireangel Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    1200 is the number you should be shooting for so that you don't put your body in starvation mode. I always try to shoot for that when i plug in my food. No matter what exercise I've done or how many calories I'm allowed I just make sure to break 1200.
  • newmercies7
    Options
    Can you share your secret for getting 1000 calories after exercise? After my exercise i still have to be careful with not going over. If I don't exercise, like I didn't yesterday, because I was busy with church and church activities, I go over my calorie intake. I could use some good pointers with how to limit my calorie intake. :-0
  • csue1970
    csue1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am lucky, believe me it's a problem I love having! I work out every day, for at least an hour. I joined a gym with a friend of mine and every day we work out on the tredmill, stationary bikes, and we lift weights. We've been working out from an hour to an hour and a half each time. So, I burn anywhere from 700-900+ calories every day! I won't always get six workouts in every week like I did this past week, but I'll make sure I get at least five of those workouts every week no matter what. Having a workout buddy has improved my success tremendously! I'm grateful to her for that :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Your body uses them for recovery and repair. It helps keep your energy levels up. It keeps your metabolism fired up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I am wondering if I am netting too few calories. Some days, after exercise, I am well under 1000 calories (net). Today, after entering the food I plan on eating and after putting in my exercise, my net is about 230! I know that sometimes eating too few calories can ruin your "diet". Is there a minimum I should not go below? What are some suggestions for getting more calories without sabotaging myself?

you should net 1200
  • lifesnotfare
    lifesnotfare Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Your body uses them for recovery and repair. It helps keep your energy levels up. It keeps your metabolism fired up.

^ Yup ^