Success-ish? Need a bit of advice

Options
Hi everyone...I started using myfitnesspal awhile ago, but recently I started on this "couch to 5k" program where it gives you a set amount of time to build yourself up to be able to run-jog (as an intermediate runner) a 5k. I have been following this to the max as well as following myfitnesspal diet of 1200 calories very religiously. There are only a few days I go over and it's never more than like a couple hundred and only on football game days, lol. Also, I usually play dance dance revolution in addition to my running schedule with them, and I ALWAYS do at least 10 minutes of intensive ab exercises everyday.

I had my mid-point weigh in last week and I haven't lost any weight in a month. I'm not fat, but I expected to drop at least 1 or 2 pounds. I'm trying to get down to 118 pounds and I can't get past 124. However, I did lose 2 inches off my waistline. Is it possible that I started building weight back on as muscle already? I mean, I can tell that I've lost size...my clothes even look a little different...

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat, so if you're losing inches then you're doing just fine!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds always come off slowly. You sound like you have burned some fat as you are smaller so you must also have built a little muscle. It will only be a pound or 2. Don't worry about what the scale says. It's far better to go by your measurement. I usually tend to weigh more than people of the same height and dress size purely because I am quite fit and have a good amount of muscle mass. I'd rather it be that way too :happy:
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When you are running the number on the scale almost always tricks you at first. You do build a lot of muscle and especially since you're not overweight in the first place, I wouldn't worry one bit about the scale not changing. Also, if you can tell you've lost inches, that IS success!!! No "ish" about it!!! Keep runnin!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would look at muscles retaining water over actually building enough muscle to gain weight.
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is 124 pounds okay for someone who is 5'4"? It's in the healthy bmi, so, it's cool right? And thank you guys for the advice~! <3
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    two inches is a big deal (so own it, girl!), especially if you're not that big to begin with. When I started working out a little over a month ago, I kept reading and hearing that you should focus on those kinds of changes more than pounds, but until you actually experience it for yourself, it just doesn't seem legit. When you set yourself up to lose weight, that's what you train yourself to look for - losing lbs. But if your eating right and treating your body right, those changes WILL happen. Besides, I'd rather lose 10 inches than 10 lbs.

Not that I'd complain if it was both. :D
  • evalynnambra
    evalynnambra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yeah that a great weight for 5'4 it sounds like you're right in the middle of your weight range and really athletic....i'm super jealous...good job!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Agreed - if you're losing inches, you're doing well. There are a million reasons why the loss may not be reflected on the scale: weighing yourself under varying circumstances, TOM, water retention due to sodium or a rigorous workout - these are just a few. You're definitely having success. :drinker:

You may find the following thread interesting. It's about losing weight when you don't have much to lose.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner?hl=relatively+light
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It is very possible that you are already adding muscle. And congratulations on all your hard work :) Feel free to add me if you would like
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!