The happy medium between dieting and eating everything

Options
So I've found that when I go on a diet. I like, restrict my calories waaay to much. Like, 600 a day. because I'm scared that by allowing myself one little thing, I'll end up eating way too much and blow my diet. But whenever I'm not dieting or watching what I eat. I pretty much just allow myself anything I want.
What is a nice middle ground between the "crash dieting" that I do, and not thinking about what I eat at all?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Just knowing that if you net what MFP tells you to, the deficit is already built in so you literally don't have to worry about it anymore. I get my 1200/day and if I work out I eat more because I STILL lose weight! It's a beautiful thing.

Good luck.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals
    Eat enough so that you feel hungry
    Allow yourself treats so that you dont end up binging

And try to understand why does it have to be one way or another?

Its helped me by trying to understand why am i an emotional eater.

All the best!

:smile:
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The middle ground? I think you've found it. MFP is a great resource. Enter in your specifics and follow the recommended calorie allotment. Goodluck!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that has helped me is to pay attention to my body. It took a little work to get back in touch with my body and what was full vs overfull and hungry vs starving. But once I learned my body's responses, I don't have as much issue with the amounts I eat. And, my binge moments aren't as bad as they were before.

So that's my suggestion, pay attention to the feeling in your tummy and go from there.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    you really need to follow the guide on here then- if youre not giving yourself enough calories youre just hitting yourself on the head. i eat between 800- 1600 calories a day pending on my day and i eat what i want just restrict myself to portions. i learned for myself shifting my calories is a lot easier than trying to not eat enough or eat to much.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    there is some new diet called the alternate day diet. It may be the diet for you. I heard about it on here. I'm sure you could google it :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone but I eat about 1500-1700 everyday. I try to eat healthy and I eat when I'm hungry.

good luck to you :)
  • krazykatcg
    Options
    Thank you so much!! These are really helpful answers. I guess i need to just know that MFP sets up the limits for a reason and that it's ok to eat 1300 calories while you're on a diet. lol.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion control.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to stop thinking of food as either the enemy (when dieting) or your best friend (when not dieting) and begin thinking of it as nutrition and fuel. Your body needs certain things to achieve and continue optimal health. Think about things like variety, vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, sugar, sodium, etc. You don't have to stress over it, just make healthy food choices and eat a variety so you get a variety of nutrients.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    My advice would be to stop thinking of food as either the enemy (when dieting) or your best friend (when not dieting) and begin thinking of it as nutrition and fuel. Your body needs certain things to achieve and continue optimal health. Think about things like variety, vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, sugar, sodium, etc. You don't have to stress over it, just make healthy food choices and eat a variety so you get a variety of nutrients.

Absolutely! And then food can be your friend in a good way.