College diet

Options
Ever since I started college, I've been gained about 6 pounds in like a month and a half....Too many temptations. Right now I'm 5'6 138 lbs.
I exercise about 2-3 times a week for an hour in the gym: Elliptical(35min), Treadmill(10), Cycling(10), Abs(10), so exercise is not the culprit...it's definetely the food im eating.
So...What foods should I eat to get back to 128-130 if I'm eating in my college dining hall?
I dont want to completely go crazy on cutting down foods I eat, but what healthy habits can I get into?
Thank you much. Sorry if I'm writing awkward, I speak french so my english isnt really perfect.

Replies

• secret_sally
    Options
    Hey I guess the best way is to cut down on white carbs and start eating whole grain. Add more vegetable and fruit in your diet. Eat lean meats like fish and chicken, and some beef but cut the fat and not too much pork. Try drinking more water throughout the day and eat more often (every 2-3 hours) but in small amounts.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: make an omelet with veggies, not ham and cheese. Go to less sugary cereal and don't pour too much. Avoid the bagels, muffins, etc - you want protein so go for a yogurt and top with fresh fruit.

Avoid anything with added oil (ie, stirfry in the wok)...try and stick with the salad bar for lunch, making sure to add beans, meat, or other protein to it!

For supper, obviously don't go heavy on the dessert bar! Stick with veggie heavy dishes and away from carbs (ie, no spaghetti, instead go for the grilled veggies and chicken). You can sometimes ask the people in the back for a healthier version if it's being served to you - or at the least, don't eat a huge serving of anything, restrict yourself to small amounts.

If you are really concerned, bring a scale but be aware that's like screaming "eating disorder" to the whole cafeteria, even if it's not the case for you! Just watch portions, eat balanced foods, things that glisten are bad, things with tons of carbs are bad, and don't order pizza for that 3 am study session, instead make some popcorn and eat chopped veggies.

Of course, also realize that you are changing and your body will be different in college....most people do gain weight, partially due to food and partially due to slowing metabolisms, less activity, etc...college does end though and you can eat better again when you aren't trying to finish 3 projects, study for that midterm, and oh yeah, greek week... ;-) I also gained almost 15 lb my freshman year - it took me 5 years to get rid of it, but once I was in grad school & living on my own it became much easier.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in a dining hall, the key will be portion size. Don't load your plate. Don't go back for seconds. Get as many fruits and veggies as possible. Avoid drinking too much on the weekends and making bad food choices while tipsy (Denny's at 3am is really NOT a good idea).
  • viasidra
    Options
    Thanks you!
  • whateverr120
    Options
    Maybe you can go to a bookstore or amazon and get a college diet book, like The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works by Daphne Oz.. For some reason when I have an actual book I get a lot more motivated. I just read it when I'm struggling, or if I feel like I wana pig out or give up. Also, you could get lean cuisines and a microwave if you dont have one already and have those for meals. Good luck!