So defeated.....but desperate

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Leah and I, like so many other people, have been on this rollercoaster for too many years. I didn't get pregnant till I was 37 so we have just one beautiful boy who just turned 5. I promised myself I'd lose the weight after he was born.......then before he started pre-school.......then before my 40th birthday..........then before he started kindergarten. I am tired of breaking promises to myself. People around us are dying of heart attacks left, right and centre and dh and I are so scared of what would happen to our son. We have no one designated to leave him to, nor do we have anyone in our lives that we feel comfortable with. We HAVE to do this for him.........and for ourselves. My husband has only 30-40 lbs to lose, but I have almost 100. I have struggled with weight my whole adult life bouncing back and forth between 115lbs and 226lbs several times.
I am tired of being tired all the time and having no energy to play with my son or do the things I need to (we own our own business). I need a nap every day......from lack of energy and depression, I'm sure.
This has to be my final hurrah and I really hope I can do it this time

Replies

• Jeannie5466
    Options
    Hi Leah, Don't get down you have definitely come to the right place, there is so much support and knowledge on here. You have taken the first steps now it's time to focus and watch the weight come down. I have been on here for two weeks and like you want more energy and to live the life I want after all those years of making and breaking promises to myself and everyone around me. Would be happy to support you in your quest for wight loss please fell free to add me
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie. That's great you've lost 4 lbs already. Are you following a 'diet' or just a calorie count. I'm going to try to stick to between 1400-1500 calories. I've got to set up a meal plan to follow today. It's our Thanksgiving (Canada) today......ha ha......great day to start a new diet.
  • Sylvia_100711
    Options
    Come here everyday...... and you will find the power to do it this time :)
  • nettg40
    nettg40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi. mmmm I am still trying to lose the baby fat and my baby is 8 so you are not alone! We seem to be of similiar ages so feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other. Annette
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Welcome, glad to have you here. I'm a few years older but with similar weight loss goal. Feel free to add me if you wish. My diary is open to friends if you ever need any ideas.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good luck Leah - you have come to the right place. I've been here almost a month now and feel much more energetic and positive. As for being a late starter - well actually you are way-ahead: my baby is 16 years old...
    but any day is a good day to begin such a change for the better.
    Best wishes Add me if you want.:drinker:
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi Leah,
    You have come to the right place! I have been on here for four weeks, and the support and sense of community is really helping me to stay focused on my life style change...no "d" word here! Anyway, welcome to MFP and if you would like additional support and friendship feel free to add me!
    Carol
  • mkgaudinier
    Options
    You're definitely in the right place. I've never been able to stay on track before, but checking in here every day keeps me motivated. Feel free to add me!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just a little tid bit here. I plan ahead and enter my food before I eat it. It helps me stay on track and not go over my calories. Good Luck
  • rissameade
    Options
    I could have been reading my own journal entry there! I have tried and tried and keep finding reasons to stop or put it off another day--I am hoping that by joining this site I can also find the motivation to be the best me I can be. I love some of the features on here that help me stay on track like creating my own recipes and getting a calorie count. I now feel I can still eat what I want but stay within my calorie goals :)
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP, you have made a great first step in making a decision to get control. I had been on a diet rollercoaster for years and years, and several months ago made the decision to mke that 1st step. I have lost 20lbs with MFP and sooo happy with myself for staying with it. I am quite addicted to MFP and am on everyday, you will find some awesome support, stories of struggles and great milestones reached. Good luck to you and your DH, YOU CAN BOTH DO THIS!!!

Sally
  • Mom2ACJC
    Mom2ACJC Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Leah:

You can do this! I just started this journey (again) today also. I am 43 and a mother to three sons, oldest 21, youngest 10. It seemed easier coming off (the weight) when I was younger. I am trying to look at progress - i.e. making healthy choices instead of I failed again. If I am staying within the range suggested on here and achieving my exercise goals then I am making progress.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Start small and use MFP every day! I have been suffering from depression too after the birth of my daughter, so I know how hard it is to do this. I basically got so ticked off from being sick and tired that I finally got on the wagon after trying countless meds to help. I shout at myself (and maybe it'll help you too) to "KEEP MOVING" when I feel like I just can't go on anymore (in general) or want to quit during exercise. You are so much stronger than you can imagine. I can tell you that eating better and exercise has helped my depression and energy level by at least 85%, more than any med has helped. Best of luck and believe you can do it this time!
  • christyrmc
    christyrmc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Leah..NEVER give up! You are in the right place. One bite at a time and make it count. We will be here to celebrate your journey!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie. That's great you've lost 4 lbs already. Are you following a 'diet' or just a calorie count. I'm going to try to stick to between 1400-1500 calories. I've got to set up a meal plan to follow today. It's our Thanksgiving (Canada) today......ha ha......great day to start a new diet.
    Deffo in the right place here on MFP great support and advice when you need it, well at least most of the time lol I have roughly the same amount as you to lose and am on 1550 cals per day, I am watching what I eat, but I do not deprive myself otherwise I'm more likely to fall of the wagon as they say. Good luck on your journey. :wink:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Leah, if you're ready to stop being a yo-yo and get committed to a long term lifestyle change, I recommend getting your mindset prepped for the journey. Today's motivation may be tomorrow's complacency. Do things today that will help you stay on track in the future. read this blog of mine for more details:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/recipe-for-a-will-power-pill-for-help-with-the-mental-part-of-the-journey-155978

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. get your mindset straight and you will succeed.
  • aspencer122
    aspencer122 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS. YOu can add me if you like. I am kinda right there with you. I have 100 pounds to loos and I havw a 8 month old at home. I love him to death and I dont want him to think that it is ok to be fat because "Dad is". Just stick with this. log your food and exercise as much as possible and you should be ok. GOOD LUCK.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    You go girl....i have 7 kids, i am 49 and have a 7 year old, so really, i feel your tired!!!!!!! I joined this with a few friends, and have met lots of super people!!!! I saw your profile and your goals....that it super! Why dont we do it like this...every 10 lbs, get yourself a little treat....a manicure, or even a little extra time with your baby. Do something physical every day. At first, even if you are walking for 15 minutes a day it is something....dont think how far, just try to walk for as long as possible. Slow easynwalking,,,,you will get faster the morenyou do it so dont worry.....also, yourngoal weit seems very, very low.....unless you are very short. I am 5'6" and at 155, i was looking amazing.....i am a breast cancer survivor, and had surgical menapause, and lots of stress and a move, and voila.....i needed to lose 35.....i have lost 10 on this in 30 days, plus 3 before I joined.....feel free to add me as a friend!!!!!!
  • DarkHorizons01
    Options
    all the tools you need are within you, just think about your baby boy, and think that you will succeed, as hard as it is, try to remove those negative thoughts of failing your weight loss goals, like its true if you get on here everyday, you will see results ^___^
  • basscyn
    Options
    You can definetly do it!
    You have all the right motivations.
    Put your long term goal out there but also set realistic small goals. Where do you want to be by Jan 1st? Hit the mark celebrate it and keep going. Where do you want to be for spring??? The only thing good about ..uhh (cough, cough) getting a little older :)...is time, as you know, FLYS!!! So...you will be at your goal in no time.