Keeping weight off = the hardest part

Options
Hey everyone!

After a year of watching what I eat and exercising regularly, I went from 142 pounds to 124 pounds. My goal weight! Finally!

However, my worst fear is coming true. Despite continuing to watch what I eat, and still hitting the gym 4 times a week, my weight is really starting to creep back. This morning I was at 130. No matter how hard I try, I just can't resist that tiramisu in the fridge, or the Tuesday morning bagel in the conference room.

Hopefully MFP will help me kick off those 6 pounds again, and keep them off. Sometimes the last 5 or so are the hardest to do...

Replies

• channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest fear once I reach my goal. Basically what I've come to realize is that MFP is a way of life not just a way to reach your goal so when I get to that point I'm still going to need to make good concious decisions and adjust when necessary. I like you will no doubt give in to temptation as we're only human but I'll get back on track and adjust the next day. That is of course if I'm unable to keep my cravings under my calorie allotment for the day.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of thinking "resist" you should be thinking "portion". If you want something, have it! Just be reasonable about how much you take. Trying to resist those foods will only make you think about them more and then you may eat more of them than you would have if you had just allowed yourself to have a bit in the first place.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    I had to take out the sugar, wheat and most flours to take the cravings away. The food is really a symptom of something else going on with the motives in eating. I have been in recovery from food addiction and compulsive overeating for 19 years and I still have to stay on top of my choices especially when there are emotions roaming around.

Once I took out the binge foods, I did not have cravings - Oh, and it probably would be a good idea to not have the binge foods in the house, thats a set up. I would have a hard time myself too if it were there long enough in the house.

Message me if you can relate. I can share a book I read that totally turned this around for me. It focuses on the physiology on how certain bodies metabolize certain carbs and also dairy (milk sugars etc.).

Blessings,
    Coach Nyla
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It could just be water weight. Water weight can fluctuate between 0 and like 7 lbs or something, like that.

Have you been strength training?? it could be muscle weight as well...

I would not say that the "Tuesday bagels" are what is the problem. You can have bagels!
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    The last bit seems always to be the hardest. Its like waiting for class to end and watching the second hand slowly pass through the last five, slow slow minutes. I hope you do well! Add me if you'd like!
  • Jezza777
    Jezza777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of thinking "resist" you should be thinking "portion". If you want something, have it! Just be reasonable about how much you take. Trying to resist those foods will only make you think about them more and then you may eat more of them than you would have if you had just allowed yourself to have a bit in the first place.

Agree!
  • aussie88l
    Options
    This is really great advice. For example this afternoon, we had 2 pieces of leftover tiramisu in the fridge. I SHOULD have just taken out a small portion to indulge. Instead, I took out the entire thing and took a spoon to it. Within 5 minutes, I had eaten both pieces!

Portion control is definitely more important than resisting, as I have proven that incapable of the latter but may be able to work it out with the former.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. When I was seeing results, it encouraged me to pass up tempting items. Now that I'm maintaining, it's so much harder not to give in. Just stick with it and monitor the splurges. Count calories every day (when when it won't be pretty), that way your force yourself to keep the splurges reasonable. It's so brutal to put a 1000 calorie dessert or something into MFP. You'll definitely think twice.
  • aussie88l
    Options
    I completely agree that it's not a good idea to have these types of foods lying around, however not having these things is not possible:

1. I live with my boyfriend, who is 6'4" and 165 pounds (that's a BMI of 18 or something). Not only can he eat whatever he wants, I often wish he would eat more!
    2. I LOVE baking and cooking. It brings me too much joy, and with the aforementioned thin boyfriend to feed, how can I quit?