Eating after 6pm?

Options
So, i was wondering if it is okay to eat after 6pm. A lot of people tell me that eating anything after 6 pm is bad for you...but surely i cant not eat for like 5-6 hours till i go bed at 11pm-12 am...I recently purchased shakeology- a meal replacement and was wondering whether its a good idea to drink that 2-3 hours before i go bed or if its just a fruit?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    thats a myth. i try not to eat anything about an hour or two before going to bed, and no alcohol either. thats it. i usually eat my dinner around 7:30-8pm, and go to bed around 10.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I agree with engineman and you can eat whenever you want as long as you meet your calorie goals for the day.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I eat right up til bed time. Calories in vs Calories out.
  • luvlite2
    Options
    thats a myth. i try not to eat anything about an hour or two before going to bed, and no alcohol either. thats it. i usually eat my dinner around 7:30-8pm, and go to bed around 10.

Yeah..what he said
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Agreed! I usually eat dinner around 8pm-8:30pm and I am usually in bed between 11:30pm and 12am . If I get hungry after dinner I might have a snack around 9:30pm or 10pm...but then I make sure I stay up at least 2 hours before I go to bed without food! :bigsmile:
  • GirlieMutant
    Options
    A hard lived myth.
    You can eat whenever you want.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Unless you suffer from IBS-C, gastric reflux/heartburn or some other digestive order, what everyone else said is true, it doesn't matter when you ate it, just in the portion you had it. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner somewhere between 7 and 8 pm and I go to bed at 11 pm. You don't need to pick an arbitrary time, like 6 pm, but you should try to not eat within a couple hours before bed. Not because it will make the fat "stick" to you or anything, but just for digestion purposes.

i can't offer any insight on any of those shake things, as I just eat food.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have heard that it doesnt matter. however i eat dinner at 6 then a snack at 7;30. i do not eat after 8pm. i have done this for about a month and while i have not lost weight i do not look bloated in the mornings and feel like it helps :)
  • TriciaAnn81
    Options
    I won't eat after 8pm, which is usually 2 hours prior to going to bed.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    your body does not operate on a clock that was designed by man to tell how light it is outside. otherwise that 6 pm would change during daylight savings. its a myth to help people that have issues with late night snacking and portion control. your body is going through many involuntary processes while you sleep and needs fuel to do so. your body even uses energy while breathing, dreaming, moving, etc. while you sleep.

calories in vs. calories out... how you space that out is between you and your body's biological clock
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you and your body. Do what feels right. I don't buy into the whole "don't eat after Xpm". If I want to eat a light snack at 8:45 and get into bed at 9, then I do. Unless I devour a Big Mac and fries, it's never hindered my weight loss or maintenance. If you find that eating late keeps you up later, then it's time to take a look at what you are eating and possibly adjust the time.
  • cronus404
    Options
    it doesnt matter. If you burn 2000 calories a day and you only eat 1500 then you will lose weight. It doesnt matter if those cals are at 10am or 10pm. If you do eat a heavy meal right before bedtime you are more likely to wake up throughout the night and studies have shown that sleepy people eat more. Thats the only reason that you shouldnt eat right before bedtime. If you still stay within your calorie range then you're fine weight loss wise.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Unless you suffer from IBS-C, gastric reflux/heartburn or some other digestive order, what everyone else said is true, it doesn't matter when you ate it, just in the portion you had it. :)

I agree..I'm not as concerned about eating late as I am about about WHAT I eat close to bed time. Some things just don't sit well...like spicy foods or anything that traditionally causes heartburn is usually not the best idea before you lie down...
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    This always makes me laugh.

What happens if i travel to a different time zone? Would i still eat at my body's accustomed 6pm....or 6pm where i currently am?

and what of the poor peopel who work nights?