An Unexpected NSV - an epiphany and how I now feel about my

Options
When I first joined MFP, I was 165 lbs. Technically, I wouldnt have been classed as 'overweight' but I was definitely at the top end of the 'healthy' range, and I was miserable. I had gained between 25-30lbs in just over a year.

After a lifetime of never having to 'watch' what I ate, my body was changing and I didnt like it. Even though I said I only wanted to loses 22 lbs, what I really wanted was to have my 25 year old body back.

Fast forward to 2 months later, and 20 lbs lighter - I am fitter, healthier and stronger than I have ever been. I have more energy, enthusiasm and all 'round joy for life. I have finally learnt to appreciate my body for the fined tuned machine it is, and not only for what it looks like in a short dress.

I have faced up to the reality that I am never going to get my 25 year old body back - and I've realised thats a good thing! My upper thighs will never again be smaller than my hips, and my butt will never learn how to defeat gravity, but thats okay. I'm healthy and getting fitter and stronger every day.

My body is the road map of my life - all the love, laughter, sadness and excitement I have felt has made its mark on me, and I cherish the memories my body carries with me every day.

Replies

• Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!!! There is something very liberating and empowering about acceptance. NOT to accept your lot...but to truly be okay in your skin!! It is really a wonderful place to be in your life =)
  • djenna8girl
    djenna8girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) You're so right - It is completely liberating! I never realised how much mental baggage I was carrying around...
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's such a huge shift when you stop viewing your body as an enemy that you must fight against and instead an ally that supports you and helps you express who you are. Then you start wanting it to perform better, and listening to what it's telling you (I'm hungry! I need a rest day! I need more strength training!), rather than attempting to trick yourself into ignoring those messages.

Too bad so much of our culture is built around keeping us in that first mentality...
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more beautiful than being healthy, confident and self assured. :)
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! How did u get rid of 20 lbs in 2 months???
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!