Exercise How much or How little?

Options
So I was wondering does everyone here exercise or do most of you watch what you eat? I just started the program and I am trying to get my allergies in control as well as my asthma before I can give myself completly to exercise. Will I see results without exercise or is this a must right away? I was hoping to start slowly in about two weeks. Any thoughts?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I only walked in the beginning, but I did that before MFP so I didn't add any exercise for a while. I stepped up my exercise about 6 months into MFP, adding more cardio and strength training. Go at your own pace, just try to move a little more every day. Park further away from the door, walk around the block, etc.
  • ChristmasCrystal
    ChristmasCrystal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I only walked in the beginning, but I did that before MFP so I didn't add any exercise for a while. I stepped up my exercise about 6 months into MFP, adding more cardio and strength training. Go at your own pace, just try to move a little more every day. Park further away from the door, walk around the block, etc.
    Perfectly said! =)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is a must to help your heart get stronger.

I don't really use exercise to lose weight. I use it to strength my heart and build muscle. Building muscle will burn more fat in turn helping you lose weight.

If you are just starting out I would do a little at a time.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep..., good call.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's up to you and what you can do.

I started with Wii Zumba but it was too slow for me. I then found Turbo Fire and I'm almost done with the 20 week program. I've also completed Couch to 5k and joined a gym for the classes. I work out about 2-3 times a day and eat back about 95% of my calories (diary is public).
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    I think you need to exercise AND be very careful about your diet. The two together will give you long-term weight loss. Start slow. I walk and hike all the time. It's so good for your mind and body. 30 minutes here, and then work up to 60 minutes and then maybe you'll be ready to take a class. Find what you enjoy in exercise and you'll want to do it all the time.
  • cchartzell
    Options
    2-3 times a day? Do you mean a week?
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a daily calorie deficit for you, so as long as you get to the number on your screen at the beginning of each day (and don't go over by more than 50 calories or so), you will see weight loss.

Some of us exercise because it gives us "extra" calories to eat (in order to keep the deficit the same, you will have to eat back the calories you burn), some of use because we like the many, many other benefits of exercise. It makes you stronger, it makes your organs function better, it lifts your mood, it gives you challenges to overcome, etc!

So no, you don't need to exercise...but maybe consider it anyhow!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Consult your primary care physician and have a check up done before you engage in anything. This is constantly overlooked and the result is far negative in some cases. Think about it. Maybe you have something slightly wrong with you. It's not terminal, grave, or seriously life threatening but it's there. Then you add exercise into the mix and it just exacerbates the problem. Better to be on the safe side, right?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to do what you can, and work to increase a little over time. And concentrating on good food choices and reasonable portions is where I started!

But when I set myself a target of exercising 3X per week for just 30 minutes, I felt better, the lbs came off MUCH faster, and I got to eat more because I "earned" calories on the days I exercised. Talk about motivation for a foodie like me!

Now I shoot for 3X per week X 60 minutes, but often end up doing 4 or 5 days per week.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey about 3 yrs ago. I was 258lbs. I couldn't walk 1 mi without having to stop. Sore joints, winded, etc. It took me about a year to get to being able to walk 3 mi fast, non-stop. I joined a fitness club 2 yrs into my weight loss journey. I've been doing less than 3 mi on treadmill (went to a greenway trail the first 2 yrs) but am jogging more, and now lifting weights. I used to think exercise was a 2 wk & get to my goal. I realize 3 yrs in & 65lbs lighter that I will never reach "the goal" if "the goal" is being perfect. I've replaced "the goal" with trying to make healthy choices each day that improve from my before, last week, or yesterday. I've also learned to forgive myself if I don't go every single day, or even miss a wk or 2. It's not about being perfect or not at all, it's about living a lifestyle of wellness -- for me. You may be diff & that's okay. We each do diff reasons. Take care of your health and do what you can each day, forgive yourself & enjoy life.
  • adezeray
    adezeray Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Consult your primary care physician and have a check up done before you engage in anything. This is constantly overlooked and the result is far negative in some cases. Think about it. Maybe you have something slightly wrong with you. It's not terminal, grave, or seriously life threatening but it's there. Then you add exercise into the mix and it just exacerbates the problem. Better to be on the safe side, right?

Thank you for the advice I actually just made my doctor appointment for all blood work and routine check-up I want this badly and will do all the steps I need to get it off the right way and keep it off
  • adezeray
    adezeray Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey about 3 yrs ago. I was 258lbs. I couldn't walk 1 mi without having to stop. Sore joints, winded, etc. It took me about a year to get to being able to walk 3 mi fast, non-stop. I joined a fitness club 2 yrs into my weight loss journey. I've been doing less than 3 mi on treadmill (went to a greenway trail the first 2 yrs) but am jogging more, and now lifting weights. I used to think exercise was a 2 wk & get to my goal. I realize 3 yrs in & 65lbs lighter that I will never reach "the goal" if "the goal" is being perfect. I've replaced "the goal" with trying to make healthy choices each day that improve from my before, last week, or yesterday. I've also learned to forgive myself if I don't go every single day, or even miss a wk or 2. It's not about being perfect or not at all, it's about living a lifestyle of wellness -- for me. You may be diff & that's okay. We each do diff reasons. Take care of your health and do what you can each day, forgive yourself & enjoy life.

Thank you! That means a lot. I understand what your saying I agree. I know it's my time to do this and get better. I want to feel great in the morning. I want my kids to be proud and be able to do what they do. :) Slowly but surely