I have Plantar Fasciitis and it is killing me.

Options
I have plantar Fascitis and my foot has really been hurting me, i have tried stretching it and in the past it has worked but recently it has not, I walk walk walk for my exercise and don't want to stop. It makes me so sad that its hard for me to walk. :cry:

Replies

• dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I walk for exercise and sometimes I can't due to the pain. I am going to try icing it. Some shoes are more supportive, but even that is not helping enough now. I am going to look for other cardio exercises that I can do cheaply and without putting so much pressure on my foot. Any advice would be great.
  • dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have the same problem and have found a solution. I have lost 36 pounds to date but that hasn't helped the plantar fasciitis.
  • sweetly_spicy
    sweetly_spicy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How are you stretching it, exactly? And can you get orthopedics for your shoes?
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I totally understand - I have plantar fasciitis with a double heel spur, and I got to the point where I could barely walk as well. You need to see a podiatrist, maybe get a cortisone shot to reduce swelling, a boot to sleep in to stretch out the plantar fascia, and orthotic inserts for your shoes. They're expensive, but they will absolutely make a huge difference. A few months ago, I could barely walk - with the boot and the orthotics, I'm running over a mile at a time.

Until then, freeze a water bottle, and put it on the floor, rolling the arch of your foot back and forth over it, to ease the pain and reduce swelling. And as often as you can, keep stretching by grabbing the big toe and pulling back, with the foot fully flexed.

Good luck! :)
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I have 3 suggestions for you:
    1) Freeze a water or soda bottle filled with water and roll your foot over it. It will help the foot to relax but also ice inflammation.
    2) Go get a massage! Have them work the calf muscles and the ones in your feet. This will help SO much to release the tension in the area. I get 2 massages a month now and it's helps a ton.
    3) Don't push your stretch too much. If you keep pushing your stretches, it will strain the area more and keep the inflamed tendons from truly healing.

Hope that helps! If you still have issues, look up Achilles heel tendonitis online - there are sites that give advice on helping to heal this as well.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Get inserts for you shoes or maybe it is time for new shoes.

I used this when my arch was sore and helped me a bunch

http://www.livestrong.com/article/436250-stretches-for-outer-arch-pain/

Until then maybe try exercises that lower impact like bike, swimming or elliptical if you can?
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Been there... and still there but very tolerable right now. My best trick is to take a water bottle and freeze it. I will sit on the couch and roll my foot over it as long as I can. Also, my podiatrist gave me a "boot" to wear at night that works AMAZING!! If you can sleep with you foot dorsiflexed (meaning the position your foot is in while standing or even toes up toward head a tiny bit) you will wake up feeling GREAT!!.
  • sbussard
    Options
    I understand what you are going through, I tore my plantar's in two places and had to have surgery last April and then another surgery in July. I understand your pain and I used to love to walk for my exercise before the surgeries. I still have a lot of pain, but for my cardio I have found swimming and a stationary bike work pretty great. I also do a lot of weight training and you can do a lot of weight training in the seated position and off your feet.

I wish you the best because I know how painful it is. It is horrible.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That sucks that stretching doesn't help. Have you tried icing your heels? Or alternating ice/heat?

Maybe you should look into a different type of shoe, or new pair. Runners can get their gait checked at some stores to find a shoe that's right. While you are walking, maybe they can still assess you and help you find a shoe that will prevent PF
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I totally understand - I have plantar fasciitis with a double heel spur, and I got to the point where I could barely walk as well. You need to see a podiatrist, maybe get a cortisone shot to reduce swelling, a boot to sleep in to stretch out the plantar fascia, and orthotic inserts for your shoes. They're expensive, but they will absolutely make a huge difference. A few months ago, I could barely walk - with the boot and the orthotics, I'm running over a mile at a time.

Until then, freeze a water bottle, and put it on the floor, rolling the arch of your foot back and forth over it, to ease the pain and reduce swelling. And as often as you can, keep stretching by grabbing the big toe and pulling back, with the foot fully flexed.

All of this plus Physical therapists can use ultra sound that really helps. in fact they can dissolve bone spurs that are often the cause of plantar fasciitis. Give it a try.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    OOps, Double post. sorry.

All of this plus Physical therapists can use ultra sound that really helps. in fact they can dissolve bone spurs that are often the cause of plantar fasciitis. Give it a try.
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also have plantar fasciitis. It can make walking and jogging really unpleasant, especially with certain types of shoes. I do most of my cardio on an elliptical because it seems to be less traumatic on my feet. I also wear very flat shoes when on the machine (without an arch) because it helps me. I know that everyones experience is different with plantar fasciitis and what shoes they are wearing and finding the right ones for you can be a challenge.
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I walk for exercise and sometimes I can't due to the pain. I am going to try icing it. Some shoes are more supportive, but even that is not helping enough now. I am going to look for other cardio exercises that I can do cheaply and without putting so much pressure on my foot. Any advice would be great.

I'm doing th 30DS and JM says a good form of cardio if you have lower body issues is to stand with you feet ur feet, squat down a little and bring your arms up and do punches. I can tell you that doing that is a good form of cardio lol it gives me a work out.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!!! i have tried everything. They have not bothered me in 2 years. I started reading and found out that 5000 milligrams of vitamin c each day works as an awsome anti-inflamitory. talked to my doctor and started the next day. within 2 weeks the pain was GONE. make sure its a buffered time released so it wont bug your stomach. My favorite and the only oone i will take now is SOLARAY super bio C buffered. you can get at natural health food stores but much cheeper on line. please try it changed my life!
    If you have to much vitamin c your body will just pee it out. you dont have to worry about getting to much vitamin c. I went to special naturalpathic doctor to make sure it was safe.
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ouch. You have my sympathy. I had it for months, and it really hurt, mainly when I had been sitting still for a while or in the mornings. Sadly, rest from walking/running and doing some stretching exercises is the best you can do. Hope it doesn't last too long!
  • stephiejones
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i am going to try the frozen water bottle, check into the vitamin c, and another pair of shoes even though these are less then 3 months, at this point im up for pretty much anything that will help....THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yes to several of the suggestions. Mine was so severe I could barely walk, let alone exercise. I went to a podiatrist. I had 2 rounds of steroid injections, ultrasound therapy, a stretching routine, and custom orthotics...not the kind of "custom" orthotics Dr. Scholl sells. I have good insurance, so this didn't cost me much. Hopefully you do as well. This was the only thing that took care of mine. I have gone 2 years symptom free now.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had pretty bad plantar fasciitis when I started working out again - but it's mostly gone now. What helped me the most was buying a brace at Target that I wore to sleep after I'd spent a good amount of time on my feet. It essentially holds your foot in a stretched position all night long. Here is a link to the one I bought:

http://www.target.com/p/Futuro-Plantar-Fasciitis-Sleep-Support/-/A-10938436

A few other things that helped were: wearing flats (even though it hurt more than heels, I was still stretching out my foot), rolling my foot over a golf ball while sitting, and doing calf streches (pulling my toes toward my shins).

Do you have access to an elliptical or stationary bike? Either would put less stress on your foot than walking or running. Just remember, as long as you keep losing weight and strechting your foot - the fasciitis will go away. Good Luck!
  • bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I have this problem too, and although I cannot say it is gone, buying really good athletic shoes helped me, especially after a friend noticed that my feet pronate (roll inward) when I walk. I went to a local running shoe store, and they brought out several pairs of shoes with the best built-in support. I ended up choosing the Brooks Trance 10 because they felt best. Now I even wear them to work and after the first 5-6 weeks I noticed a dramatic difference. I also started spending more time on the elliptical, which also helped, and I stretch every day.