How long did it take you? (Running)

Options
How long did it take you till you could run at a decent pace without stopping for a good few miles? And how often/how long were your runs?

I'm a new runner and so far been doing it every other day, out for about 50 minutes and do a mixture of walking and running cross country, up some hills etc.

Did run number 3 today and already feel i can run a bit further, i've heard its a fairly fast process getting running fit, as long as you keep it up and push yourself that little bit further each time - like today i'd ran up a fairly steep hill, so this time once i caught my breath i went back down and did it again, something i couldnt do the last time! And my time was quicker today, did the exact same route so must've ran more than last time!

So how quick did it take you before you could run without stopping?

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You sound like you run pretty well. I have been doing that C25K program for 10 weeks and can run 20 minutes (2mi) okay. It isn't easy for me but I can do it.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I started in July pushing two miles and dying at the end. Yesterday I ran 10k (6.2 miles). It's one of those things that you do a lot of and let it naturally progress. I typically stay at a 10 minute mile.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It took me a good few weeks but that's because I was purposely increasing my runs very slowly due to joint problems. I often felt that I could run further or faster but didn't allow myself until the next week in case my joints flared up. It was still pretty quick though - about 6 weeks to run 30mins continuous. I'm now gradually increasing that by 10 mins every 2 weeks. It's such a great feeling. Sounds like you are doing really great :bigsmile:

I forgot to mention that I used to do a lot of running so I would have expected to have built it up quicker starting back again after a break. If I'd never run before I would have expected to take longer to get to 30 mins :wink: Hope I didn't scare any beginners - it normally takes anything from 8 to 12 weeks or even longer sometimes. Whatever works best for you and your body.
  • ycc1964
    ycc1964 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It took me exactly as long as it took me to figure out that to progress and run farther, I had to slow down to the point it felt like i was almost walking. 3 11 minute miles versus 9 minute miles (and only going 0.75 miles).

A month later they were 10:30 minute miles. 2 months later I was doing 9 minutes miles, but 3.5 of them together. *tracked with runkeeper

Edit: I was a former runner, but I hadn't run for 15+ years. That may have helped. Your mileage may vary :^)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I just want to say good for you for starting! There isn't a right or wrong way to go about it. You just need to make sure that your bones as well as your muscles have time to heal in between. For me the c25k program didn't work. I found it was easier to set a dist. and run that dist no matter what; even if I was shuffling at the end as long as I made it. I would then walk the rest of the 5k. I also had some previous running under my belt and was recovering from an injury (remember what I said about your bones needing time too?) It takes time and that is OK. :) Time is a healer.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've just done my first longish continuous run - 30 minutes, at just over 5mph. It's taken me 6 weeks, also doing C25k, but I've been doing a fair bit of other training alongside it and felt I could manage it now.
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    I also ran every other day to build up my time/distance. It took me about 10 weeks to get up to an hour. Now I want to focus on running 6 miles in 1 hour.
  • emtess123
    Options
    Dont get me wrong, it was still unbelievably hard and thought i was gonna die :laugh: but i obviously ran more than the last time as i did it about 5 mins quicker than the last and i did the exact same route!

Its brilliant how quickly your body can build fitness isnt it! :smile: Im hoping if i do it about 4 times a week, therefore giving my joints time to rest in between each run it should hopefully take me about 6/7 weeks to build up to running the whole way! (about a 1 hour walk not sure on mileage)

Would love to be able to run easily and build up to something like a half marathon, hopefully will speed up my weight loss too! It always looks so exhilarating watching people run, when its you though who cant run to save your life its a different story :laugh:
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great! Make sure you don't increase your mileage too quickly or your body will eventually get mad about it. Try to increase about 10% a week so you don't overdo it. Happy running!