Water Fasting Anyone?

Options
ONLY respond if you have done it before please and thank you. :flowerforyou: I'm 7 hours away from being done with day 2. :laugh: I'm considering doing 3 days then eat veggies on day four then do 3 more days. I'm not sure yet.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a pressing health reason to do this, you are better off just eating food. 6 out of 7 days with no food without medical supervision is probably not the best choice.

**I did have to do it for 2 days for medical tests. It sucked. I lost weight, sure - but only until I could eat again.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I've done water/juice fasts before for 2 or 3 days. But only for cleansing my system and I do it when I know I won't have to exert a lot of energy. If you are "clean" on the out going side, then you have accomplished the goal.
    It is very depleting on my system as far as energy and strength go.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Do you mean just drinking water with no food at all? Or water as your only liquid source? *Not sure what you mean*
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Do you mean just drinking water with no food at all? Or water as your only liquid source? *Not sure what you mean*
    I'm sure that's what she means. IMO one of the most muscle wasting and under nourishing things you can to your body. You need essentials for your body and metabolism to perform correctly and not eating protein and fats for a few days at a time could upset this.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I should respond to this or not, but considering I've never done it because it sounds ridiculous and unhealthy....and I like food.....but I would say it doesn't sound like a good idea.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people automatically attack others for water fasting. There are many religions in the world that do this often. Water fasting for a couple of days is NOT a terrible thing, if your doctor says you are healthy enough to do so and it's okay. In fact, short fasts can be very good for the system. A few days will not ruin your metabolism.

Just wanted to say this as a lot of people automatically attack people for fasting here and it bothers me...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    A water fast is okay for like a day, two at the very very most, but it's more to "cleanse" rather than to lose weight as a permanent weight loss technique it doesn't work and damages your body and metabolism
  • monikajj
    Options
    It's not for fat loss.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I do it once in a while when I am feeling heavy and sluggish. Makes me feel awesome. Never more than once/week and usually less than once/month. I also incorporate green tea and coffee.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Be careful, you've opened a can of worms... Most people around here don't seem at all open to fasting...

Anyway, I've done 24 hour fasts (in fact I'm doing one as we speak), but nothing longer. From what I've read there's a lot of great science supporting the positive effects of fasting for 16-36 hours. I'm not sure about anything beyond that however.
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried the master cleanse diet for 14 days (only drank lemonade) and I sure lost weight 14-15lbs but gained it again immediately... As everyone has mentioned, any kind of fasting IS ONLY GOOD AS A CLEANSING TECHNIQUE, not a weight-loss method because you only lost water and waste weight not actual fats because you wont have enough energy to work out, but I do know somebody that works out while doing the master cleanse diet but IT IS REALLY DANGEROUS because of blood sugar drops...

Remember:
    ANY KIND OF FASTING = CLEANING/CLEANSING THE BODY
    WEIGHT-LOSS = EXERCISE+NORMAL HEALTHY DIET
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound stupid but how on earth can water fasting clense the system !
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Fasting = Cleansing

Weightloss = balanced diet and excerise.

I'm not sure if you're fasting to lose weight, but if that's the case don't do it. It comes right back. Fasting every now and then isn't totally bad. I do one occasionally when I'm feeling rather...not all myself. It's like restarting for me. Ask your doctor about it though. Not for weightloss reasons, though. That's just silly.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, and you can't stop me from responding.

THIS IS A STUPID IDEA!

"Only respond if you've done this..." what? Do you want to surround yourself with idiots.

LMAO!!!!!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Well... if and when the re-feeding syndrome kicks in, there is a lot of barfing.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Well... if and when the re-feeding syndrome kicks in, there is a lot of barfing.

You crack me up bro! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Fasting = Cleansing

Weightloss = balanced diet and excerise.

I'm not sure if you're fasting to lose weight, but if that's the case don't do it. It comes right back. Fasting every now and then isn't totally bad. I do one occasionally when I'm feeling rather...not all myself. It's like restarting for me. Ask your doctor about it though. Not for weightloss reasons, though. That's just silly.

Fasting means the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time......nothing to do with cleansing !
  • KristiPugel
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend doing a water fast for weight-loss purposes. Fasting is more of a religious thing. I find it benificial in my prayer life, but the weight-loss is just a side benifit. It doesn't stay gone though, because once you start eating again, there's the tendency to over-eat and the weight comes back and brings friends with it.
  • iAm_misspiggy
    iAm_misspiggy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ALSO I do boot camp for exercise, but I'm of course not going during the fast period. I've decided to NOT do a 6 day water fast but to phase into Dr. Ian's 4 day diet.... so fast for a couple days then add in veggies... then build upon that.

The seven dieting modules of the 4 day diet include:

Induction (detox/cleansing)
    Transition (to reintroduce all food groups)
    Protein Stretch (to avoid plateaus)
    Smooth (when you can have some formerly forbidden foods like pizza and French fries)
    Push (the sprint just before the final stretch, back to a stricter eating plan)
    Pace (a comfortable module for you to catch your breath)
    Vigorous (the final module to lose those last few pounds)

I've done the 4 day diet before and struggled during the fruit and veggie only detox. I feel like fasting would make only eating fruits and veggies feel like cake. The Strategy is If I'm discipline enough to have only water for a couple days nothing can phase me (diet wise)
This discussion has been closed.