2 pounds vs 1 pound per week need help :)

Options
hello there folks!

so i started this wonderful site a week and half ago and i started by 2 pounds per week right way...i survied for like 5 days and sadly failed the last 2.

so i decided to get it up to 1 pound per week the next week wich is this week....and to be honest so far its successful..wich amazes me how our bodies works.

i was wondering why cant i lose the 2 pounds easily and no hunger trigger like the 1 pound per week? ./discuss :P

here are the details u need :

- 5'6 height
- male
- 279 lbs ( so embarrasing xD )
- 27 old
- activity : sedentary

1- P.S : in week 1 ( 2 pounds plan ) i used exercise as a cutter for the extra calories i ate or i want to eat.
+ in the 2nd week ( 1 pound plan ) i never use exercise.

2- i have a hidden crisis plan incase i was abt to destroy my eating lifestyle and abt to binge wich is getting my daily intake to 2900 cal wich is my weight maintain level.

thx for reading and hope u have an idea :P peace <3

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the foods you eat... Try eating more fulfilling foods rich with Fiber & Protein, and less carbs.

Honestly you should be able to lose MORE than 2lbs per week at your weight. I started at 297 and I lose between 3-4lb a week when I committ to it.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    One more thing, Keep in mind the MFP has a very HIGH setting for the carb intake and a very LOW setting for protein... don't be afraid to go over in protein, that's what is going to keep you full longer, and don't be afraid to cut short on carbs. Carbs trigger hunger!
  • getthisweightgone
    Options
    In all honesty...I increased my water intake simply by meeting that 8glasses of water goal. It definitely helped me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Because losing two pounds per week requires a larger caloric deficit.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    If I read that correctly, you were exercising the first week, and following the lower calorie diet to lose 2 pounds per week, but switched to no exercise and the 1 pound loss for the second week?
    Beforehand, did you exercise often? When I started working out, it took a bit longer to see weight loss, and I was much hungrier. Make sure to focus on lots of protein, it helps with hunger and is GREAT after working out. Keeps you from getting munchies so often too.
    I really think it's more about your exercise than the actual calorie plan. Just add in some cardio with 1 pound a week plan, and in a few weeks, bump up to 2 pounds plan. Your body just needs to adjust to working out. Drink water!!
  • mrscortes2008
    mrscortes2008 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The 2 lbs a week goal is really hard to maintain. Trust me, I know. :)
    I have definitely noticed that eating high protein foods really seems to help. Basically, what you want to avoid is the drastic blood sugar spikes and dips that happen when you fill up on carbs. Let's say you have half a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast at 9. This is almost solid carb calories. Sure, you feel full for a bit, but by 10:30 your ravenous and craving (go figure) more carbs. This is because when you give your body simple carbs, it burns up the energy lightning fast then sets your internal clock for the day to require this kind of fuel all day long. It's possible to handle the consequent hunger and cravings for a few days, but sooner or later your body will get the best of you.
    Protein, on the other hand, takes considerably longer for the body to digest. If you give your body protein fuel first thing in the morning, you will notice a reduction in the cravings and hunger. Granted, it takes a few days because our culture basically lives on carbs, so you have to retrain your mind and body to work with this new kind of fuel. I've been following this regime for nearly a week and just yesterday I started noticing that I wasn't as hungry.
    Other things to bear in mind: how often are you eating? It seems counter-intuitive, but you have to EAT to lose weight. It's a fairly well-accepted rule that you should eat every 2-3 hours, never going more than 3 hours between mini-meals. Men usually aren't supposed to go below 1700 w/out doctor supervision. If we take that equation and spread it out over a 12 hr day, you should eat about 5 mini-meals of 250 cal. each, then one larger meal of 450 whenever you choose. The trick is to make sure that, at the end of the day, you've consumed equal or more grams of protein than carbs. I follow this routine with my own (female) calorie requirements, and I've lost 5 pounds in less than a week. Before my second pregnancy, I followed this plan for 6 months and lost 40 pounds. It really does work.
    One final point, our culture tends to have its most protein-rich meal at dinner time. But there's no law that says you can't have dinner for breakfast. Yesterday, I had homemade beef stew for breakfast (200 cal a serving) and I finished the day well below my calorie goals and never felt deprived.
    I'm sorry I'm so long-winded but I feel for you because I've struggled with the same problem. I hope something I've said will help. If you want to add me as a friend, feel free. Then you could access my diary for high-protein, low carb mini-meal ideas.
    Good luck with your weight loss!
    -Madeline
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is 1000 calories cut in a single day! That's a ton and I honestly don't know how anyone can do it. I prefer to lose at a half pound a week. I like food.
  • shellicious777
    shellicious777 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being long winded, I needed to hear this. I am a carbaholic. And I feel hungry all day long. Not to mention the second I think diet I go into binge mode. Or I go into the I'll start my diet tomorrow. I need all the diet tips I can get. what are high carb food? Please feel free to add me.
    Thanks!
    Michelle
  • shellicious777
    shellicious777 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband says it's simple science. you have to burn more calories than you take in. Sounds like you want the better of both worlds and it's NOT going to ever work. Living a sedentary life is not healthy at all even if you were a thin person. You've got to move. Trust me, this is hard for me too. The bigger you are the harder it is to just go for a "simple" walk but you have to start somewhere. How bout trying to go for a nice walk twice a day and see if you lose weight. And try to stay busy. I notice that it's being in the house all the time that drives me to eat. And I noticed that if I have bad foods in the house I"ll eat them. surround yourself with healthy foods to snack on. Trust me this journey isn't easy for any of us but everyone that has joined this website have struggles and want to change their lives. You can't be the person watching a workout video wishing you could be thin. Take a stand! You can do it!!
  • ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If it were simple, science, there would be a magic pill. While, it is true if you eat around 3500 cal less, you will lose a pound. The trick is, all else has to be equal. If your body slows down calorie burning, you can eat less and gain. Even though I am on meal replacements now, I have lost by counting not only calories, but protein, carbs, and fats, as well. I have to log everything to lose weight. If I don't watch my carbs and fat I eat junk and stay hungry. For me while losing, I eat about 50% protein, 40% carbs, and 10% fat. If I write it down, I can almost predict what I lose.

When I wasn't replacing meals, I ate closer to 55%, 35%, 10% and 1500 cal per day. That worked out to around 205g protein, 130g carb, and 20g or less of fat. For me the higher protein, less fat worked. You see 40/30/30 used a lot. I can't eat that much fat.

To help with the math, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9 calories per gram. This means you can eat twice the volume of protein (or carbs for that matter) to get as many calories as you would from fat so you feel full longer with less calories.

The carbs, for me at least, need to be whole grains. Anything with sugar or simple carbs (basically white bread, or starches such as pasta, potatoes, etc), give me a diabetic like reaction where I get sleepy and then hungry really quickly. The added fiber in the whole grains evens this out some.

I am a numbers person, so I can handle and need the structure. Weight Watchers just simplifies this to points, but it's the same concept.

So, it is simple science, but the practice is not so simple when you factor in varying BMR, exercise, etc. I even think your calorie burn changes in the winter and summer by your body trying to keep warm or cool. Throw in hormones and women's issues, and it gets pretty complicated.