1200 cal a day?

Options
I just changed my cal from 14 somthing to 1200 is this good?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1200 is a little low for a lot of people. Why did you drop it? Higher is easier although it takes longer...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just changed my cal from 14 somthing to 1200 is this good?

ONLY YOU know!
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    In my opinion it depends on how quickly you want to loose and whether you're prepared to exercise. Mine is set at around 1200 and it convinces me to exercise.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Less doesn't mean better. Set MFP to give you a 1 pound/week loss. What is that number? Eat that.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5' 3" and honestly can't do 1200 a day. Not only am I hungry, I feel bad. Light headed, etc. Decided if it takes longer, it takes longer and upped my calories. I also couldn't get anywhere near a healthy diet at that level.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested I eat somewhere between 1200 and 1500. I went with 1500, and I lose about 1/2 pound a week. I don't feel like I'm starving at 1500. Granted it took about a month to get used to the reduction, but it was worth it.
  • msleesha
    Options
    According to my nutritionist, 1200 calories is really what you need to get your day started. If you are working out, you definetly need to eat more calories. I would keep your calories at the 1400 mark to ensure you are getting enough protein and other nutrients. You do not want your body to go into starvation mode. You may not even lose any weight and another thing to remember is when it starts coming off really fast, then it will be very easy to gain. Stick with what you had before and if possible consult with your doctor or if you go to a gym, ask them to assess how many calories you should intake a day.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5' 3" and honestly can't do 1200 a day. Not only am I hungry, I feel bad. Light headed, etc. Decided if it takes longer, it takes longer and upped my calories. I also couldn't get anywhere near a healthy diet at that level.

What did you pick for calories? I am 5'4'' and trying to find my balance
  • msleesha
    Options
    I agree with you....more calories the better...do not starve your body. ( speaking to the 1500 calories a day per nutritionist)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use 1200 as my sedentary no-exercise base. When I exercise, I shoot for ~ 1450-1500 (that still gives me a calorie deficit).
    I'm 5'8" 192 lbs, and have set my MFP target for 2 lbs per week.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day set by MFP. Am 5`4" started at 175lbs wanted 1.0lbsweight loss each week.

so it depends on what you weigh, height and weight loss projection?
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1200, i eat around 1500 calories a day. It makes me go to the gym so i can have more calories (as i dont like the red number0 this way i eat 1500, dot go in the red and loose weight. I would only recommend 1200 if your planning on going to the gym as it is a very low amount. I always go over on my exercise free days
  • boobookittyx
    Options
    I have mine set to 1200, i eat around 1500 calories a day. It makes me go to the gym so i can have more calories (as i dont like the red number0 this way i eat 1500, dot go in the red and loose weight. I would only recommend 1200 if your planning on going to the gym as it is a very low amount. I always go over on my exercise free days
    Agree on this one! Lol
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it depends on how quickly you want to loose and whether you're prepared to exercise. Mine is set at around 1200 and it convinces me to exercise.

Exactly! I'm at 1200 and i sometimes go over slightly, and
    it does make me think about getting more excercise!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    no offense but Im not sure why you keep posting. I've seen posts from you asking about soup and garlic toast. You're entering it in your mfp and you're still under your calorie goals. It's your body and your food..

Maybe you should look at the OP's profile...
  • stardozer
    stardozer Posts: 180
    Options
    I changed it back to the MFP's Pick.
  • stardozer
    Options
    no offense but Im not sure why you keep posting. I've seen posts from you asking about soup and garlic toast. You're entering it in your mfp and you're still under your calorie goals. It's your body and your food..

What does THAT mean??
  • dreaasha
    Options
    I'm about to sound like the spelling jerk over here, but does it annoy anyone else that people don't LOSE weight, they LOOSE it? Totally different meanings, totally different words?

And I'm at 1250 a day, but I have issues reaching 1200 quite a bit. I literally forget to eat. *shrug
  • stardozer
    Options
    TRY and having learning disability. and see how you like it?
  • Rae6503
    Options

What does THAT mean??

Sorry. I didn't meant to offend you. I found that persons reply rude and thought that maybe if she looked at your profile, where you state you have a learning disability, she'd understand why you sometimes need a little extra help.