Question for guys

Options
Hello guys!

I am in a fitness program in which I do weight lifting for 4 days a week (upper body some days, lower others), and I've been noticing really good results in half the time I did before.
Since I started weight training, my husband got really annoying! He keeps telling me I'm going to be huge! or that I'll have manly arms and stuff like that even though I'm using 5 pound dumbells, go figure.
I know this is not going to happen! Because I'm not taking anabolics or anything like that, and a woman's body doesn't have the testosterone levels required to build muscles like a man! Besides I'm just planning to go up to 8 or 10 pound dumbells. I just want to be toned and defined, and that's what my training is for.

I sent some articles to him, but still he acts like my current work out makes him somehow nervous!

Why is this?

Thanks in advance,
O.S

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess.

He may not realize it but he's intimidated by your success. He's completely wrong, of course. As you've said, you won't get bulky. I think he's probably just unconsciously trying to sabotage you. I'd guess he feels insecure about his own fitness compared to your progress.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You would need to be eating excess calories to gain size. More likely that you will become more defined. :-D Very sexy on any woman.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    He's worried you'll have better muscles that he will! My bfs the same, soooo competative!! Its in a males genetics, they cant help it. :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    He's in secure. He wants to be THE MAN for you. Invite him to lift with you :)
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think if I were you, that would provide me with some excellent motivation to lift heavier. MUCH heavier.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1. It is a myth that women will "bulk up" and get "manly" if they lift weights.

2. Lifting 5-10 lbs is barely weight lifting. Another reason why you will not bulk up.

3. Sometimes, weakling men are *kitten*.

:flowerforyou:
  • dannylives
    Options
    He's saying that 'cause he doesn't know crap about weight training. These chicks lift lots of weights, show him this. http://youtu.be/GiaiIRWmAD4 ...............or this one http://youtu.be/tuTmfGpBbPQ
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said he maybe be feeling insecure by this. Maybe you should get him to go to the gym as well ;)
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah you don't have to worry about getting bulked up like a body builder. That kind of figure takes a very long time to achieve. And you'd have to do the right training regiment PLUS eating a caloric balance surplus for that to happen properly. So lift those weights girl!

I see some girls lifting weights in the gym and they look great. The only girls in the gym that have physiques similar to men are the ones eating like men. Do you eat like a man?
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Yeah you don't have to worry about getting bulked up like a body builder. That kind of figure takes a very long time to achieve. And you'd have to do the right training regiment PLUS eating a caloric balance surplus for that to happen properly. So lift those weights girl!

I see some girls lifting weights in the gym and they look great. The only girls in the gym that have physiques similar to men are the ones eating like men. Do you eat like a man?

I eat like a man. Still not bulking up.

Testosterone is the key. Which women don't usually have enough of.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If a man tells a woman that, then they are not secure in their own strength.

Woman are at a huge disadvantage in lifting weights. The average guy shouldn't fear being weaker than most women who lift weights. I work with a woman that lifts all the time and can out lift probably 90% of women and I can easily lift more than she can and I"m nowhere near stronger than 90% of men.

So, if he's negative about your strength, then perhaps he's worried that he's not strong enough.
  • deathstarclock
    Options

What's your calorie count at?
  • Hassiri
    Hassiri Posts: 35
    Options
    lol nope I don't eat like a man
    I'm trying lo lose the last 5 lbs to reach my goal so i'm in a calorie restricted diet :)

Thanks a lot for your replies everybody!
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

What's your calorie count at?

Well, it's not at 3200, like yours. Holy guacamole that is a lot of food! But it's also not at 1200, like most women on here. I'm at 2200-2400 at the moment. So maybe I only eat like some men. :laugh:
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    P.S. I was hoping my phrase wasn't actually taken literally. :drinker:
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tell your husband to stop with the broscience.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Well, no. I'm not even sure what "eating like a man" actually means. Now, "lift like a man" I understand. :smile:
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    Well, it's not at 3200, like yours. Holy guacamole that is a lot of food! But it's also not at 1200, like most women on here. I'm at 2200-2400 at the moment. So maybe I only eat like some men. :laugh:

That's actually not enough to maintain :[ I'm messing around with the numbers. I actually need maybe 3400-3500.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Well, no. I'm not even sure what "eating like a man" actually means. Now, "lift like a man" I understand. :smile:

Well in my case it means wondering how the hell I got food *there*--wherever there may be.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'mma approach this from a different angle. he could be jealous and afraid you may leave him. I seen it in alot of couples where one changes and the other resents him/her. "oh you just doing this to look better and then leave me for someone else!"