Water Fasting Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Fasting = Cleansing

Weightloss = balanced diet and excerise.

I'm not sure if you're fasting to lose weight, but if that's the case don't do it. It comes right back. Fasting every now and then isn't totally bad. I do one occasionally when I'm feeling rather...not all myself. It's like restarting for me. Ask your doctor about it though. Not for weightloss reasons, though. That's just silly.

Fasting means the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time......nothing to do with cleansing !

Not PHYSICAL cleansing. Not the cleansing I was referring to. I know the definition of fasting, thank you very much.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ALSO I do boot camp for exercise, but I'm of course not going during the fast period. I've decided to NOT do a 6 day water fast but to phase into Dr. Ian's 4 day diet.... so fast for a couple days then add in veggies... then build upon that.

The seven dieting modules of the 4 day diet include:

Induction (detox/cleansing)
    Transition (to reintroduce all food groups)
    Protein Stretch (to avoid plateaus)
    Smooth (when you can have some formerly forbidden foods like pizza and French fries)
    Push (the sprint just before the final stretch, back to a stricter eating plan)
    Pace (a comfortable module for you to catch your breath)
    Vigorous (the final module to lose those last few pounds)

I've done the 4 day diet before and struggled during the fruit and veggie only detox. I feel like fasting would make only eating fruits and veggies feel like cake. The Strategy is If I'm discipline enough to have only water for a couple days nothing can phase me (diet wise)

If people could lose and keep off their weight in 4 days, this would be a lot more popular than it is. Stop buying into fads please. You're reinforcing a gender stereotype, and I'm sure the dedicated women of this site don't appreciate it.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ONLY respond if you have done it before please and thank you. :flowerforyou: I'm 7 hours away from being done with day 2. :laugh: I'm considering doing 3 days then eat veggies on day four then do 3 more days. I'm not sure yet.

All I heard was "I'm being unhealthy and making diet decisions that the research by numerous medical studies states is unhealthy and dangerous, but please don't tell me that I am demonstrating the classic signs of an eating disorder"

Anyone else hear that?

Carry on.
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    ONLY respond if you have done it before please and thank you. :flowerforyou: I'm 7 hours away from being done with day 2. :laugh: I'm considering doing 3 days then eat veggies on day four then do 3 more days. I'm not sure yet.

All I heard was "I'm being unhealthy and making diet decisions that the research by numerous medical studies states is unhealthy and dangerous, but please don't tell me that I am demonstrating the classic signs of an eating disorder"

Anyone else hear that?

Carry on.
    :laugh:
  • Jezza777
    Jezza777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes I fast occasionally, two days is usually my limit but I take my men's multi vitamins during that time :)
  • iAm_misspiggy
    iAm_misspiggy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How could the diet be for only 4 days if it has 7 modules??? Don't respond if you don't know what you are talking about or without reading. The name is 4 day diet, but it's not really for FOUR DAYS! http://www.ubciweek.com/diet-2/does-the-dr-ian-smith-4-day-diet-work.html
  • iAm_misspiggy
    iAm_misspiggy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ALSO I do boot camp for exercise, but I'm of course not going during the fast period. I've decided to NOT do a 6 day water fast but to phase into Dr. Ian's 4 day diet.... so fast for a couple days then add in veggies... then build upon that.

The seven dieting modules of the 4 day diet include:

Induction (detox/cleansing)
    Transition (to reintroduce all food groups)
    Protein Stretch (to avoid plateaus)
    Smooth (when you can have some formerly forbidden foods like pizza and French fries)
    Push (the sprint just before the final stretch, back to a stricter eating plan)
    Pace (a comfortable module for you to catch your breath)
    Vigorous (the final module to lose those last few pounds)

I've done the 4 day diet before and struggled during the fruit and veggie only detox. I feel like fasting would make only eating fruits and veggies feel like cake. The Strategy is If I'm discipline enough to have only water for a couple days nothing can phase me (diet wise)

If people could lose and keep off their weight in 4 days, this would be a lot more popular than it is. Stop buying into fads please. You're reinforcing a gender stereotype, and I'm sure the dedicated women of this site don't appreciate it.

How could the diet be for only 4 days if it has 7 modules??? Don't respond if you don't know what you are talking about or without reading. The name is 4 day diet, but it's not really for FOUR DAYS!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have fasted before, but not for weight loss-- simply for spiritual reasons. It's tough. I have only gone a day or so on just water, but typically I will have juice, tea, and sometimes even broth if I'm feeling absolutely terrible. And to be honest, I couldn't tell you if I lost any weight doing it or not. I wasn't keeping track of my weight the last time I fasted... but my clothes didn't fit differently or anything like that. I wouldn't recommend it as a weight-loss method at all, personally... because when I did it, it didn't affect my weight. lol.
  • xToTsx
    xToTsx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried the master cleanse diet for 14 days (only drank lemonade) and I sure lost weight 14-15lbs but gained it again immediately... As everyone has mentioned, any kind of fasting IS ONLY GOOD AS A CLEANSING TECHNIQUE, not a weight-loss method because you only lost water and waste weight not actual fats because you wont have enough energy to work out, but I do know somebody that works out while doing the master cleanse diet but IT IS REALLY DANGEROUS because of blood sugar drops...

Remember:
    ANY KIND OF FASTING = CLEANING/CLEANSING THE BODY
    WEIGHT-LOSS = EXERCISE+NORMAL HEALTHY DIET

I agree with this. Fasting as a weight loss method is not safe and shouldn't be done. I've heard that fasting for a day or, at most two, can be good as a cleansing technique. Even then I wouldn't do it often. The only other reason I can think of to fast is religious purposes. I've done it for religious purposes before, I didn't notice much of a change.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Fasting means the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time......nothing to do with cleansing !
    seriously? no offense but do you know anything about fasting? other than knowing that it involves abstaining from food, that is. fasting has EVERYTHING to do with cleansing. the body expends a tremendous amount of energy digesting food. when you're not preoccupying your body with the tasks of digesting food, absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste, it focuses all of its energy pulling out and flushing toxins from the body. haven't you ever felt a loss of appetite when you're sick? that's your body instinctively telling you to fast, so that it can expend more energy fighting off the virus that's attacking you. in the same way, fasting when you're not sick (well, when you're without symptoms, anyway) allows your digestive enzymes to focus on eliminating the dead, damaged or diseased cells in your body as well as flush out accumulated toxins.

and this goes for everyone else in this thread who claimed fasting is "stupid." there are a tremendous number of great books out there on this subject if you ever care to educate yourselves. here are three examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Eating-Health-Medical-Conquering/dp/031218719X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318293532&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Fasting-Detoxification-Healing-Power/dp/1878736655/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1318294618&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Fasting-Throughout-Spiritual-Rejuvenation/dp/0877900396/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1318294753&sr=8-10

those books also detail numerous accounts where fasting has improved conditions such as chronic pain, skin irritations/disorders, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, rheumatoid arthritis, digestive disorders, autoimmune illnesses, migraines/acne/allergies etc etc, i could go on. it's a very interesting subject if you care to learn a bit more about it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    seriously? no offense but do you know anything about fasting? other than knowing that it involves abstaining from food, that is. fasting has EVERYTHING to do with cleansing. the body expends a tremendous amount of energy digesting food. when you're not preoccupying your body with the tasks of digesting food, absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste, it focuses all of its energy pulling out and flushing toxins from the body. haven't you ever felt a loss of appetite when you're sick? that's your body instinctively telling you to fast, so that it can expend more energy fighting off the virus that's attacking you. in the same way, fasting when you're not sick (well, when you're without symptoms, anyway) allows your digestive enzymes to focus on eliminating the dead, damaged or diseased cells in your body as well as flush out accumulated toxins.

and this goes for everyone else in this thread who claimed fasting is "stupid." there are a tremendous number of great books out there on this subject if you ever care to educate yourselves. here are three examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Fasting-Eating-Health-Medical-Conquering/dp/031218719X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318293532&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Fasting-Detoxification-Healing-Power/dp/1878736655/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1318294618&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Fasting-Throughout-Spiritual-Rejuvenation/dp/0877900396/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1318294753&sr=8-10

those books also detail numerous accounts where fasting has improved conditions such as chronic pain, skin irritations/disorders, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, rheumatoid arthritis, digestive disorders, autoimmune illnesses, migraines/acne/allergies etc etc, i could go on. it's a very interesting subject if you care to learn a bit more about it.

Yeah, and they are all wrong.

On a side note; http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/160163157X/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1318296443&sr=1-7
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Yeah, and they are all wrong.

On a side note; http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/160163157X/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1318296443&sr=1-7

Agreed. Having a book published doesn't automatically make you correct. Think how many respected science works are now incorrect thanks to further research in the field and that's without mentioning religious texts. By definition they can't all be right!

I don't think it's a coincidence that those books all have 'spiritual' or religious connotations
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    How gullible must one be to believe Water fasting will work and keep the weight off, not to mention being healthy??? Seriously

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZksDAUA8yvWDxghtNZhaaziDO5bsmCc5aBGYiwfkyKEbdi3oc
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    the body expends a tremendous amount of energy digesting food. when you're not preoccupying your body with the tasks of digesting food, absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste, it focuses all of its energy pulling out and flushing toxins from the body. haven't you ever felt a loss of appetite when you're sick? that's your body instinctively telling you to fast, so that it can expend more energy fighting off the virus that's attacking you

You HAVE to be joking. Where exactly do you get the energy from to fight illness if you aren't eating?! The amount of energy used to digest and process food is a tiny fraction of the energy you gain from that food. How on earth do you think the we humans actually function?!
    You really shouldn't be giving advice, your ignorance is actually dangerous.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options

You have been brainwashed by the media and another money making scheme
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is NOT.

You may review the forum rules in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

Regards
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.