Losing Hair Again (PCOS)

Options
I was diagnosed this year by my family doctor. I am trying to get a referral to an Endocrinologist. My hair just started falling out again over weekend :( I am on sprintec(started june 24th 2011) and metformin(started may 13th 2011) 500x2. My face and scalp get really oily and then hair on scalp falls out falls out :( Any suggestions?

SW 262 Pounds
CW 200 Pounds
GW 176 Pounds

Replies

• FinerthanB433
    Options
    I, too have PCOS. I was diagnosed in 2006. I have not had my hair fall out, just the opposite. I have lots of hair where it does not even belong! Birth control and metfrmin are a good combination. It will take about 6months to a year to see the results of the meds. Just hang in there. it gets better! I see and endocronologist and dermatologist. You might want to try a dermatologist because the specialize in hair as well. Good luck!
  • ymccoy82
    ymccoy82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Metformin is the doctor's answer but I have found that losing weight and working ot has become a better solution. PCOS sucks for everything... ex. Facial Hair, Acne, Oily Skin, Hair Loss, Weight Gain, Hard to loss weight and worst Fertility issues or INFERTILITY.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Metformin is the doctor's answer but I have found that losing weight and working ot has become a better solution.

Me too. It takes a while to get things going, but once you drop a certain percentage of your weight, you can almost feel normal again. I'm on the pill (Yasmin) and it seems to control the issues I have with acne and my PCOS. That and irregular cycles are the only symptoms I have when I'm not treating the PCOS. Good luck to you!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Ugh, PCOS is awful. I actually didn't know that it caused you to lose hair/get oily skin! I've always had oily skin, but the hair loss was dramatic for me. Mine has a lot to do with my anemia too. Once I was on an iron supplement, my hair loss lessened. But I guess you learn something new every day.

I'm on Tri-Sprintec, which works really well for me. The first BC I was on made me sooooo sick, which is what we were trying to counteract. My periods make me miserable, plus I have the PCOS. So they put me on Tri-Sprintec and I've been on it ever since. My periods have been regular and much less painful.
  • Korrinn
    Korrinn Posts: 24
    Options
    Going on Metformin and Yaz really helped with my acne issues and I'm pretty sure it helped me to lose my first 40 lbs. Now I feel like I'm completely stalled and I'm not sure what to do.
  • shrimpboatcaptn13
    shrimpboatcaptn13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also take the Flintstones vitamins plus iron. Feel free to add me :) I am about 10 days into my new pack of pills. I also have hair on face and at same time losing hair on head :/ It seemed to be doing great for awhile and after my last period bam it is back and with hair loss :(