Looking for some help!

Options
Hi everyone! I am quite honestly kind of ashamed to post this, but I am in a bit of a low point in this journey, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it anymore. I apologize in advance- I tend to ramble, but I will try to make this as short as possible.
First let me tell you a little about myself: I am currently a senior in high school, and I have been on this site for about 5 months. When I was younger, I was skinny as a stick. However, when I was about 13 or 14, I started to gain weight. It wasn't fast, and it wasn't really a lot either, but I did snack a little too much, and I wasn't involved in sports like my friends were. Last May, I finally decided to do something about how gross I felt. I honestly didn't have that much of a problem at first, and I lost about 16 pounds from may to august. However, in august, I kind of fell apart. I started to binge eat, which I have NEVER done. at first it was just once a week; now, its at least once a day. i eat until i feel sick, and sometimes beyond that. i feel fat, gross, and disgusting, but somehow, i can't stop. everyday i wake up and tell myself that today is the day i will change; today is the day that i will have a good food day, for once. then, by about 4 pm, i am stuffing my face and telling myself that i don't care what i am doing to myself. I have gained back over 10 of the 16 pounds that I lost, and I can't stop. I currently have another account on here, but I created this one because I really don't want to let my friends down. I have amazing support, and I don't want my friends on here to feel like I have failed them. I am also part of a challenge, and instead of having lost the 7-ish pounds I was planning on losing since I started, I have gained even more than that amount. I feel so ashamed and I really don't think I can continue, but at the same time, I don't want to abandon the group and all of my friends. I guess I am just looking for support. I kind of jumped into this, and now I am regretting it. I realize that I didn't make any huge health changes, but I felt like I didn't really have to, because I was eating mostly the same foods, just less of them. I didn't set any mini goals or make any huge lifestyle changes; again, I felt like I just had a few pounds to lose, and I didn't have any major eating issues. I feel like now though, I kind of need to start back at square one and do this the right way. Any advice about how to do this would be SO greatly appreciated. Also, I am a huge stress eater, and I am going through a really hard time in my life right now. I am applying to colleges and trying to keep up with schoolwork, and on top of that, we are have a lot of problems in our extended family and I recently found out that I may have PCOS. So if any emotional eaters have tips for me, that would also be very helpful. Thank you so much in advance for all of your help. this is a wonderful community and I feel so loved and supported by everyone. thank you!

Replies

• tkonzer
    Options
    Honey, I know how you feel. I'm you but 34 years old. I had lost about 20 pounds and then started binge eating again and gained it all back. All I can say is that you have to start small. The thing I did was create an Inspiration Board, I put a list of reasons why I want to stick with it and make it look pretty. I try to look at it every day. I did this two days ago and it's still been tough, but it's helping. You can do this. We are hear to help you.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hi! My suggestion for binge eating is to not let yourself get too hungry. When I have a binge eating fest around that time it is because I didn't let myself snack enough/have healthy snacks throughout the day so I am starving... then I eat way too much. Make sure you are eating something filling every couple of hours. Maybe try to add some extra protein to your day (not sure what you are eating). Don't give up. 16 lbs is great. Have you ever lifted 16 lbs? it is heavy! Another tip is sometimes you are thirsty not hungry. So sometimes before I eat a snack I make myself drink a full glass of water and wait 15 minutes... then I eat and I am not nearly as hungry. Hope that helps, feel free to friend me. I am a high school teacher (but I am only 24) so I can relate and understand your feelings.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Honestly the binging thing is kind of scary. Is there a counselor at school or anything you can talk to?

You need to figure out WHY you do it? What triggers it? Is it hunger? Or you not eating enough during the day, then you give up and go all in? Is it boredom? Depression? Can you find something to do in the afternoon? Go for walks, do your homework and chew some gum?
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I used to be an emotional eater too. One thing have figured out that works for me whenever I get upset and feel like eating is I go for a walk, not a slow one, I speed walk all my fusterations out. Took a while for me to not to turn to food, sometimes I still fight it. But honestly.....you are human, you had a set back because your not perfect. No one is! Turn to your friends, thats what they are there for.....this isn't about judgement, its about supporting people through difficult times like this. You WILL get through it, just try to start anew tomorrow. It's not easy by any means, but YOU CAN DO IT!!! Stay strong :flowerforyou: Feel free to add me, if you like.

11209539.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counterdd me.
  • norisea
    Options
    i used to have a big problem with binge eating. what helped me was planning everything the day before. i made a schedule of when i would eat and what i would eat, and had a healthy snack on hand if i was feeling hungry before i planned to eat. after awhile i got into good habits and didn't have to think about it any more!