Vit D deficiency

Options
So I was just told by my Dr. that I am deficient with Vitamin D. Has anyone else ever been tested, treated, heard it, anything?

Replies

• mommy0612
    mommy0612 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So I was just told by my Dr. that I am deficient with Vitamin D. Has anyone else ever been tested, treated, heard it, anything?
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I dont have this problem as I live in the desert and get alot of sun, but what vitamin D does is help your body absorb calcium and phosphorus, helping keep bones strong.
  • Smiley1010
    Options
    I don't know much, but I think one place we get Vitamin D is from the sun. Winter's just ending here (upstate NY), so I probably have a vit D deficiency too! :wink: Sorry I can't help ya. Hopefully someone else will respond with more info.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

my sis had it...simple cure for her was vitamins...what did your Doc suggest?
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Yup. I was sick for yrs and in bed with no sun became deficient in vit d . I was just told to take supplements and if I wanted to try and get 20 min of sun on my arms or legs a day ( with no sunblock) I just wore shorts or a tank and lay on a couch by the window for 20 min. It did make me feel a bit better doing that.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    When I lived in Iceland, I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, which kind of goes right along with a vitamin D deficiency. I used to have to go to the tanning beds a couple times a month.

If you like milk, you can drink lots of milk that is fortified with vitamin D. I'm lactose sensitive and I don't drink milk.

Now I'm back in AZ and since I walk dogs outside every weekday, I get plenty of sunshine. It definitely has an impact on my mood when I am deprived of sunlight for too many days.
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    it's pretty common and becoming more so as people, for other health reasons, avoid the sun more. I was very deficient last time I had blood work done. I went in because i was tired all the time and my joints hurt). I was put on a prescription dose for a while and then retested after finishing that course and was back in the just barely normal range. Now i take 1000 units over the counter daily per doctors advice. Pretty easy fix. Don't ignore the deficiency though...you need your vitamin D for strong bones!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I take 3000 IUs of Vitamin D a day. One 1000 IU pill with each of my 3 doses of calcium citrate. It raised my Vitamin D levels up from 32 to 71 in about 3 months.
  • mommy0612
    Options
    it's pretty common and becoming more so as people, for other health reasons, avoid the sun more. I was very deficient last time I had blood work done. I went in because i was tired all the time and my joints hurt). I was put on a prescription dose for a while and then retested after finishing that course and was back in the just barely normal range. Now i take 1000 units over the counter daily per doctors advice. Pretty easy fix. Don't ignore the deficiency though...you need your vitamin D for strong bones!

That sounds about right. Apparently they are starting to test people more. My level 13. I was totally surprised. Besides working nights that explains alot. Thanks I have to start presciption strengthen tomorrow.
  • mommy0612
    Options
    I take 3000 IUs of Vitamin D a day. One 1000 IU pill with each of my 3 doses of calcium citrate. It raised my Vitamin D levels up from 32 to 71 in about 3 months.

Good to know after I am finished with this prescription I was told I should be ready for calcium citrate. Looking up Vit D def surprised me I have alot of the symptoms and I'm a darn RN. I just figured it was nights, young kids and walking at work 12hrs a day. I posted in the previous post. Mine level was 13. Thanks for sharing your info with me.