Type 2 Diabetes mom needs help! :-)

Hi! I heard about this webpage from a another friend of mine struggling with weight issues as I am. I figure if I join a support system then I should be more equipped to lose weight and get more healthy. Looking forward to getting to know some new friends.

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    I'm Type 2 Diabetic as well...Welcome and feel free to add me... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Youll definently find a great support system here. The good news with type 2 diabetes is if you get it under control with diet and excercise (and medication in the beginning as you lose) you wont become totally insulin dependant! I was borderline in HS and treated with medications, I controlled it after a year of medications with just diet and excercise to even have a pregnancy where I never developed gestational diabetes (and I had to submit to the glucose test in my first and second trimesters). Being a mom definently has its own set of struggles with weight loss thats for sure too!
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    This helps a lot. You can keep track of what your doctor wants you too with a click of a button or two. You can tweek it so you keep track of your sugars. I have lowered my A1C being on here. The support is great and it can be fun too.
  • inittothinit42
    inittothinit42 Posts: 64 Member
    I'm a Mom with type 2 diabetes, too. I don't know if I can be of much help because I haven't yet been able to stick to my plan for more than a few days at a time but I keep coming back and starting over. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Welcome... I am diabetic too (type 1) MFP is a great tool. We are NOT alone in this journey... Take care of yourself and feel free to add me as a friend. Suggestion: Post a profile pic, it will help you to find friends. Many people is playing around and giving hard time. Don't accept requests if they are not honest and serious.
  • c2me12ad6
    c2me12ad6 Posts: 127 Member
    Welcmoe to mfp! You deff will love it here! I have come to love documenting my food every day its almost kind of addicting lol! Join us have fun and lose the weight! Glad to have you!
  • Try glucose buddy .com for tracking your blood sugar, it is free and on the web along with IPAD and IPhone. I also believe it is available on android. The great thing is the mobile version is easy to use right after youbtake your BS. Then it updates to the website and you can chart all your results 20 different ways. You can also do a forward looking test to see what your approximate A1c would be. It takes your most recent BS results estimates where your A1C could be and is a great motivator for sticking to your plan.

I also love this site, great info and first time in my life I had such good food to eat and knew how many calories I was consuming every day. I was formerly an Atkins self proclaimed expert and watched my weight go up and down 60 to 50 lbs at a time.

Feel free to friend me if you would like, looking for other diabetics to share info with and be motivated by.

Thanks
  • Youll definently find a great support system here. The good news with type 2 diabetes is if you get it under control with diet and excercise (and medication in the beginning as you lose) you wont become totally insulin dependant! I was borderline in HS and treated with medications, I controlled it after a year of medications with just diet and excercise to even have a pregnancy where I never developed gestational diabetes (and I had to submit to the glucose test in my first and second trimesters). Being a mom definently has its own set of struggles with weight loss thats for sure too!
  • I could not agree with you more, two months ago due to a long hospital stay and a very bad reaction to a medication, I ended up in the ICU and had been given large doses of steroids to get my heart and blood pressure back. To order the steroids, doctor gave me doses of insulin all day long, my BS were in the 400 range for days. He told me that he did not thinkni would ever get off the insulin and I was sent home with two insulin pens. After a couple of weeks keeping very close track of BS levels and being very careful with timing meals and just eating healthy the first time in my life, he started to think I might get off insulin. My numbers were really good...then he told me to stop and try Metformin. Since then, he has lowered dose and thinks if I continue to lose weight, eat healthy, I will not have any symptoms of diabetes. I am telling you this because initially I was very depressed and thought I would have to take insulin the rest of my life, not that was a terrible thing, but I travel all week and take clients to breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. If I can reverse this...so can anybody.