Mitral Valve Prolapse

Options
Hi folks,

I was diagnosed with MVP about 2 months ago. Although this condition is normally benign, in my case, it's quite symptomatic with palpatations, skipped heartbeats, moderate regurgitation, and a sharp pinch pain in my chest with cardio exercise, although it's only intermittent. I'm on 100mg of Toprolol XL (beta blocker) daily, which has made it so much easier to deal with than before.

It's been acting up quite a bit lately, and although my cardiologist recommends 40-60 minutes of cardio (HR consistently between 130 and 170) daily to strengthen my heart, I am struggling to get it in because of the discomfort associated with my workouts.

Do any of you have this condition? How do you deal with it?

Replies

• lovie0628
    Options
    My grandma and my aunt have it, but they do just fine. Just make sure that when you have certain things done that may put you at risk for a bacterial infection (ie: about to have dental work) that you're actively taking anti-biotics. Good luck and I'm sure in time the discomfort will lessen even more!

Take care,

Lovie
  • sooty0703
    sooty0703 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did they do an ultrasound and an EKG? If not, insist on an ultrasound!!!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Did they do an ultrasound and an EKG? If not, insist on an ultrasound!!!!!

My cardiologist put me through an EKG, Echocardiogram (ultrasound), and a stress test to confirm. He was very thorough, thankfully. He's a really wonderful doctor.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    My grandma and my aunt have it, but they do just fine. Just make sure that when you have certain things done that may put you at risk for a bacterial infection (ie: about to have dental work) that you're actively taking anti-biotics. Good luck and I'm sure in time the discomfort will lessen even more!

Take care,

Lovie

I seem to be doing fine aside from trying to deal with the cardio workouts. It's painful at its worst and far more uncomfortable than it should be at its best. I just wondered if anyone had this condition and had any tricks for cardio to make it more comfortable.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? You could try a walking workout, something low impact. I dont know anything about MVP sorry.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? You could try a walking workout, something low impact. I dont know anything about MVP sorry.

We have a home treadmill with a wireless HRM built into it. Most of what I do now is a mix of jogging and walking.

I think I'm just frustrated with it...