Protein

I'm having a bit of a problem keeping my protein count under my total for the day. Is this a bad thing? I don't go over by much. Will this affect my weight loss goals?

Replies

• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    MFP under calculates how much protein you should actually have in a day. Don't be too worried about going over
  • MFP under calculates how much protein you should actually have in a day. Don't be too worried about going over

Agree. It quotes me like 40 and I'm supposed to consume 140g ... I'm on the 1g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    It is good!

Think of the number as a "target" not a "limit". You want to at least meet your target and anything above that is great. This applies to fiber as well.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    I'm having a bit of a problem keeping my protein count under my total for the day. Is this a bad thing? I don't go over by much. Will this affect my weight loss goals?

Absolutely not, just as long as the calories from protein your consuming. Doesn't go above your overall calories to be consumed daily. If it isn't, then don't lose sleep over it. You won't gain any weight. Good luck and stay focused!
  • protein and fiber are both set for what should be viewed as minimums. :)
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    the default protein goal set by MFP is quite low, so going over will not hinder you. in fact, it will likely be of benefit.
  • I am a Dietetics student at Idaho State University, in my last year...I have learned, that it is ok to eat more protein than your needs unless you have a medical condition that prevents that. Extra protein in your body is great if you are trying to build some muscle (not huge amounts of protein are needed here) it won't hurt you...but if you want to put it to good use, do some strength training! This will also help boost your calorie burning power during times when you are sitting around...and will help maintain a healthy metabolism.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Foods higher in protein & fiber are harder for your body to digest & metabolize, therefore, this actually increases your metabolism & may help your weight loss.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Thanks guys. This makes me feel better. Not usually a worry wort, but this kind of freaked me out. Thanks again.
  • blueeyes25s
    blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
    Thanks for posting this question. I came out here to post a similar question because I was told by a trainer I should be eating 100 grams of protein a day which is way higher than what MFP tells me what I should be eating.