Spaghetti Squash

Options
dianemass
dianemass Posts: 23 Member
I bought a spaghetti squash and now I need to know what to do with it. We had it at Ruby Tuesdays and now I am loving it !!
Any recipes would b greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Diane

Replies

• swnash
    swnash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this recipe (actually the whole blog is great):
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/11/moroccan-spiced-spaghetti-squash/

I cut way down on the butter (like half, or even less) and it is still really good. It is a nice recipe because it is a little different than the more traditional spaghetti squash with marinara, and it isn't so sweet like so many squash recipes are. Hope you enjoy!
    -s
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Take baked spaghetti squash and top with a bit of cottage cheese and some marinara. Sprinkle with a bit of cheese and bake until bubbly. Yummy almost lasagna type. Also, I like to mix cooked spaghetti squash with roasted veggies, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and sprinkling of cheese like feta.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My fav is with a little butter...not a lot...and some garlic salt...then I top it with some bread crumbs or diced mango.
  • cscrivner2010
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is my favorite carb replacement...I just mix spaghetti sauce with it...:)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a big bowl in my fridge right now! We like to bake it in the oven (cut it in half, pierce the skin, turn the halves upside down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until you can easily pierce it with a fork). Then, I scrape it all out into a bowl and then make individual servings as needed (see below).

Add about a cup or so of squash to a microwaveable bowl, squirt with spray butter a few times, add a sprinkle of garlic powder, a little salt, a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese and one wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese. Microwave for about a minute or so and stir well. Enjoy!!

This tastes like alfredo noodles. Even my 16 year old who hates everything (especially veggies) LOVES this!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I make a "light" (ish) Alfredo sauce.
    Heat 2% milk in a pan. Meanwhile, add a few TB of flour to water and make a thin batter. Add to heated milk, stirring, to thicken.
    Remove from heat and add a cup of grated parmesan cheese. Pour over squash that's been baked and forked apart.

It's actually pretty darned good!
  • bettycass
    bettycass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What I like to do with spaghetti squash is really delicious. I poke it with a knife to make steam holes, then cook in microwave until you can squeeze it easily. While I am doing that I saute some chopped onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. I add spices like cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Then I dump in some small peeled and deveined shrimp and stir around till pink. Back to the squash...after it is soft, I cut in half, take out the seeds and use a fork to take the strands out. Then I add to the sauteed mixture. I sometimes sprinkle with green onions and sometimes chopped tomatoes. Yum.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    shrimp, avocado, and asiago cheese mixed in with a bit of white wine and olive oil.
  • brenf88
    Options
    I love to cut mine in half and take out the seeds and gunk in the middle, pre cook by steaming it until the strands pull away from the squash sides. While that is cooking/steaming, I make spaghetti sauce with meat and lots of fresh veggies. When the squash is precooked put the sauce into the middle of the sauce and cook in oven. About 5 mins before it is done, place some low fat mozz cheese on it and brown.. My kids love it and think it is spaghetti. I also do it with chicken and shrimp for a change up. :flowerforyou:
  • lmcdaniel343
    Options
    I have a big bowl in my fridge right now! We like to bake it in the oven (cut it in half, pierce the skin, turn the halves upside down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until you can easily pierce it with a fork). Then, I scrape it all out into a bowl and then make individual servings as needed (see below).

Add about a cup or so of squash to a microwaveable bowl, squirt with spray butter a few times, add a sprinkle of garlic powder, a little salt, a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese and one wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese. Microwave for about a minute or so and stir well. Enjoy!!

This tastes like alfredo noodles. Even my 16 year old who hates everything (especially veggies) LOVES this!

Wow that does sound good and very healthy! Low Carb & Cal. I will have to try this. Oh and Congrats on the 71lb loss!
  • ljedmom
    ljedmom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and kids (6, 4, 2) LOVE this...

Microwave squash and scoop out seeds. Fork apart strands.

Mix: spaghetti squash, torn fresh spinach, chopped tomatoes, parmesan cheese, garlic, basil and a drizzle of olive oil.

YUM! And easy.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    We had this for the first time last week and loved it!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html#more

I think the trick is to roasting the squash (instructions on that page)...so good!!
  • jewelrydee
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. Yum!!!!
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Great idea to add the LC cheese wedge!!!
  • beautybiz
    beautybiz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like to roast the spaghetti squash until soft. While that is cooking I take grilled chicken and cut it up along with red, yellow, and green peppers, yellow squash, zuccini and black olives and cook lightly in a pan (the veggies should still be slightly curnchy) Toss the spaghetti squash with this add a little light Italian dressing and Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Serve hot with a tiny but of parmesan cheese. Past Primavera without the noodles. :love: YUM
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I tried this last night while I was waiting on dinner to cook, and I now have a new favorite snack! I didn't use butter or Parmesan cheese, only LC cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In fact, I think next time I will leave out the garlic powder too. Still, I loved this taste & creamy texture. And it was a huge, filling snack for under 100 calories! Thanks for the idea! :)
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just tried it yesterday for the first time (also at Ruby Tuesday's) and fell in love. Now to buy some and cook it myself!