Vegan help?

Options
I need help finding enough protein daily as a vegan! I burn around 1000 to 1500 calories a day from exercise and I just don't get the protein I need. Please help(:

Replies

• monicamay11
    monicamay11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try recipes from http://ohsheglows.com. She uses lots of natural protein in her recipes.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Oh she glows is amazing. I am totally cosigning on monica's post!!

and her recipes (most!) are delicious!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    While it's not 'food', there's plenty of vegan protein powders out there that could be used to make a pretty fabulous recovery shake after a big workout like that.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    almonds, cashews, pecans, and walnuts will be your best friend. Tofu, edamame (delicious, btw), TVP, and tempeh are other good protein (I'm sure you know this as a vegan).

Do you make some cheeses to use? I have a really simple cashew cheese that's versatile. Good in tacos, or with corn chips. You can drizzle it in tofu lasagna, or on pizza crust and sauce.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Apart from "don't be a vegan" my advice is beans. i make lots of soups like lentil, blackeyed peas or adzuki, all of which cook fast from dried and have around 15 grams protein per 2-cup portion of coup, which usually contains about 250 calories. also, i love tempeh. and bacon (oh wait). oh, and spirutein shake mix from the health food store is awesome with almond milk.
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also voting for OhSheGlows!
    I use Sun Warrior Rice Protein powder and also consume lots of beans, lentils, and quinoa. It is important to try and get complete proteins- like rice and beans, etc. 1500 calories burned just from exercise?? That's a lot! I'd say use a protein powder and add extras like hemp seed and cocao. Any little extras will help round out the protein profile. If you are okay using soy as a protein source, tempeh is high in protein.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    beans, chick peas, lentils, nutritional yeast, quinoa are all good soy-free protein sources. You can also make your own seitan.
    For store bought items, field roast hot dogs and sausage are really tasty and also veggie burgers.
    Americans eat wayyy too much protein, and you should be fine with a plant protein at every meal.