Frustration

Options
Eating better? Check. Exercising? Check. So why do I feel so drained and depressed? I'm know, there are many answers to that question, and they all frustrate me. I realize I have only been at this for about 2 weeks now, but I am so ready for all this "energy" that exercising is supposed to give me. Right now, all I feel is drained. And kind of hungry. Any motivational tip or advice out there?

Replies

• jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories!! I know, you've probably heard that before, but it's so true. I completely stop losing weight if I don't. And actually, if I have one or two days where I go over my calorie limit (1200 per day, so sometimes I go up to 1700 or so) I lose more weight...and I feel better. I can't explain it, it just works.
  • ghadeer86
    Options
    Honestly I felt the same way in the beginning!!! Working out was supposed to give me more energy, make me sleep better..and neither happened! I was drained with very little motivation..but honestly its just at the beginning, you get over it after a few weeks and start to feel much better :)

I feel so powerful and accomplished after workouts and it keeps me that much more focused on my overall goal. I started beginning of September (was working out on and off all summer but I decided september would be more serious & focused)

The best you can do is give yourself some time, I'd say betwen 1-2 months...at least you'll know you gave it your all! Hope things start looking up soon
  • chenna14
    chenna14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep. No matter how much you exercise, if you aren't getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, your body doesn't have time to digest all of the wonderful things you are doing for it. Resting is just as important as the good eating habits and the exercise.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    If I don't drink enough water I have ZERO energy and I feel like every cell in my body is suffocating !!
    Could that be an issue for you?
    I try to have at least 2 liters a day.
  • magiale05
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips/advice! While I do get enough sleep (most) nights, I could definitley drink more water. My biggest nemesis isn't really food but soda! I have pretty much altogether stopped drinking it. I have a treat now and then but mostly I drink crystal light. It was kind of my step down from soda, but not quite water. It still has caffeine though and I'm sure that doesn't help. And I have been tempted to eat my exercise calories, maybe I'll try it and see how it goes :)
  • lambdafu
    lambdafu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have felt exactly the same after two weeks. I looked at my net calories and decided that I was not eating enough to support the workouts I were doing, so I have now eaten back the exercise calories for four days in a row and feel much better. I am still tired more often than before, but not hungry or drained. So try eating a bit more, couple of hundred calories, and see if that helps.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters (water, food, etc). Also make sure you break a good sweat when you work out. I think it's the endorphin surge that gives you that energy boost. I'm lost now without my endorphins. I even take 16 flights of stairs instead of elevator at work now just for the mind clearing effect it has on me.