tummy tucks.....cop out or legit??

Options
so i've lost 60-pounds since 15 January 2011. With that weight loss comes excess skin, also left over from my 2-pregnancies. My friend went to a doc for a tummy tuck and he told her that a tummy tuck was the only way to get rid of this skin and get a flat tummy back. i saw her before and after pics and she looks freaking amazing now.....flat tummy.....no stretch marks......the list goes on.

Has anyone else received the same advice? I've been busting my *kitten* at the gym for the past 10-months and i still have awful tummy flab that won't melt! Is a tummy tuck a cop out? or is there a way to flatten this skin without a surgery?

and please don't tell me more ab exercises lol....i do plenty of those every day!

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm still in the process of losing weight but I just don't see the hang over skin going away.......it was floppy and hung over at the bottom of my very very pregnant belly with my last pregnancy. And it's not going away!!! Would love to know people's opinions. Definitely interested in getting one but the scar is massive!!!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Completely legit.

I don't know where I will be when i hit goal weight or if that is a path that i will choose. But I totally understand this choice and the people I know who have had it done - they look great!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Totally not a cop-out!
    I'd do it if I had the$!
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not a cop out, once your skin is stretched beyond repair, its not going to shrink back, and if you hate it and can afford it, then do it :)
    Don't know the rules where you are but if you have separated muscles from having your children your public hospital system may do it for free, but you would have to look into it :)
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Legit!! My babies were toddlers when they were born, that and weight loss have left me with a belly flap that is just wrong. If I had the money I'd get one in a heartbeat!
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    totally legit!
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a cop out at all, you put in the hours, pain, sweat, tears, and eating habit changes!

why not look good?

I am thinking that i may have to do the same thing when i lose the weight

anybody here want to share if you have had this procedure done and the cost?

you may pm me if you like
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree its Legit for some people I talked to a gastric by-pass doctor and he told me it depends on your age and how much you are over weight. If your relativity Young and you loose 100 it could go away without surgery but if you loose a lot real fast and your in your 30's and up it will take more to make it go away and in the end you may still have to have a tuck to get rid of it all!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    not a cop out at all! genetics, as well as your fitness history plays a part, you'll know if it is for you! If yes, do it and don't look back!
  • melissakarren
    Options
    I always had the same question. So after I hit my goal weight and maintained it for 2 years, I took the plunge and went for the consult. The Dr. said I was the perfect candidate and after 2 kids I would never get that extra skin to disappear. I went ahead and did it and it was the best decision I had ever made. The confidence alone it gave me was unreal and the motivation to maintain plus to tone up was the boost I needed. It is no way a quick fix and the recovery is a tough one but Way worth it :) So I say if money is not the issue then YES go for it :)

As for the scar it is not as bad as it seems. This was on of my worst fears. My scar is so low, way below my panty line and I decided to add a tattoo over one side of it :)
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had a consultation. I don't have the skin hanging problem. The Dr commented on how tight my stomache was. (Also how a little lipo would get rid of my love handles. Had to tell him I'm still working on losing weight LOL).He wasn't talking about tight as in muscle, tight as in skin.
    My problem is the stretch marks. If money wasn't an issue I'd get one in a second. :)
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    thank you all! i sure appreciate this feedback!