Beginner jogging question.

Options
Hi all, I've been walking for the past three months, and I felt like I was ready to jog. So I set out tonight to accomplish that goal. Well...the only thing I accomplished was being a sweaty mess and scaring the crap out of a raccoon!!

I managed to do about 15 seconds of jogging, to every minute of walking. This doesn't seem very good to me, and I thought I would be able to do at least 30 seconds, but I couldn't do it. I did do what I could for about 20 minutes, and I can certainly say my clothes are wetter than when I walk, but I just don't know that it's worth it.

My back was killing me each time, and my chest felt like it was going to burst. I'm assuming because my lungs are not used to that much exertion?

It does get easier right?

Replies

• fitnfreeme
    fitnfreeme Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. I recommend the couch to 5K program (google it). I am on week six and I love it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets easier!

You did 15 seconds at a time, that's great - keep that up for a few days this week, then next week see if you can do 20 or 30.

If you want a more structured approach have a look at C25K or Runner's World or the Runkeeper beginner runner's plans and you will have a program to follow.

My best tips:
    - run slow. Don't worry about going fast, just build up your endurance at first, speed can come later.
    - get good shoes and a good bra.
    - enjoy!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it gets easier. I second the C25K recommendation. That program saved my life and turned me into a runner and an athlete!!!!

Just keep trying!!!!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That's normal. I was no stranger to the gym, loved my spin classes, etc, and no way did I just hop into running, I'm slowly building up to it. Running is just different from other cards, at least for me.
    I recommend the c25k program, too. I downloaded a great program to my phone, I listen to pandora or google music, & it cuts in to tell me when to walk or run.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes try the couch to 5 k ( c25k) there is an app you can get on your smartphone it gives you the schedule to do it and it dings when you switch running and walking it I nice One is free and one is $2i think
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it gets easier! Trust me. When I first started running, I could barely do 15 seconds myself. Now I can run a mile without walking! I'm kind of stuck here but eventually I will get farther. It may come fast, it may come slow. Try different things... running faster or just running for a longer period of time, whatever works for you! I find speeding up helps me get into a better rhythm while some start out just barely jogging.
  • DaveDag
    DaveDag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, don't get discouraged, keep trying. In 1996, I started a fitness program and could hardly walk around the block at the time. But I made myself walk, and then it gradually turned into running, because I got bored with walking, and in 2002, I completed a marathon. I still enjoy running, and a lot of other activities and have managed to keep my weight down for the past 15 years.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes it WILL get easier. I have never run in my life. In January I started walking on the treadmill at 2.5 mph for one whole mile and I thought I was going to die. SLOWLY I kept bumping it up....doing what I could and pushing myself to what I thought was my limit. Fast forward 10 months and now I jog 3 miles 3-4 days a week at about 5.5 mph. Some days are better than others, but I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought I could ever jog for 35 minutes without stopping. Best part is, I am loving it and plan on keeping pushing this old body even more! You never know what you are capable of until you try. Be patient, it will come.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It is worth it and it does get easier!!!!

Also...any amount of jogging is something...even 15 seconds...and the fact that you were sweatier shows that you are working harder than just walking!

I did c25k when I first started...although I rarely jog for a straight 30 minutes...I still like alternating the jogging and walking!!!

Another training philosophy is the Jeff Galloway run/walk program...google it too and use which ever works best for you!

Good luck!!!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    it get's easier!! Just keep with it, add a little more running team when you can, and a little less walking time.. but give yourself enough time to recover in between running and walking...

Also look up the C25K it's a great program. I just restarted it today... well mini restart... 30 second running/2 minutes walking.. next week I will officially start the program.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you get stronger. A month ago I could run for a minute tune rest for 3a lol. Now I can run for 7a and rest for 2. Maybe not the greatest intervals but it works for me. You'll get there. Practice makes perfect.
  • thebeadinggoddess
    Options
    I jogged quite a bit today for the first time in 6 years. I have a huge oval shaped road and I walk the curbs and run the straights. It was extremely hard but I puffed my way through it. Right now as I am writing my thighs feel like they are on fire and I ran a 6pm. I imagine I will be extremely sore tomorrow so I plan to do alot of stretches and a mild walk just to give my legs a break. I weigh almost 200lbs and I am only 5ft so if I can do it. You can too! Just don't go overboard and hurt yourself! On the plus note to the pain. I feel refreshed and my body feels so much better. I dont feel tired anymore and I have only been at this for 4 days. It is amazing what excersizing really does.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. now that I've sat down and cooled down and read all of your comments I feel a lot better. I'll definatly look at the running programs you've mentioned. I'm just gonna keep doing what I can for this week and next week try to go longer. :)
  • carriehaynes10
    carriehaynes10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and reading the posts about running. I just started walking and attempted to jog the other day. My question is...what is the C25K? Any tips on a good pair of shoes? Thanks in advance!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and reading the posts about running. I just started walking and attempted to jog the other day. My question is...what is the C25K? Any tips on a good pair of shoes? Thanks in advance!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml <-- C25K

It's a great program. I am about to finish up week 6. I can run a full 20 minutes now! There are apps and podcasts available to guide you. I recommend Runkeeper to track your route and mph and the NHS podcast is great for guiding you and giving run/walk cues. Good music in between, too. :smile:
  • carriehaynes10
    carriehaynes10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. 15 second runs at a time is very good! Just keep doing that this week, and next week shoot for 20 seconds. Try for 30 the following week. You'll be amazed how fast your endurance builds up, and it feels wonderful to run a mile without stopping. :)

Please please please make sure you get good shoes though. You don't want to ruin your knees, ankles, hips, or back. Go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of quality running shoes if you plan on jogging on a regular basis.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    You can do this. C25K is great, but take your time, and relish every accomplishment. Do not be discouraged, learning to run is not easy for anyone. I just reached 20 minute running intervals, and feel like a hot ball of gross when I run, but the pride of saying "ha! Look what i can do!" Is amazing. Keep pushing, you got this.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Loved reading all this advice.... I've just checked out the C25K site and downloaded the app.... sounds very achievable even though I can't quite imagine me running for a full 5k.... but I'll give it a try.... who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks!