Defining line between the good and bad

Options
So, can someone help with with drawing the line between "good food" and "bad food". I had reduced fat peanut butter today and although I know it is high in protein, I still give myself a thumbs down for the day for eating it. How do I know what is "good" and "bad"?

Replies

• blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    So, can someone help with with drawing the line between "good food" and "bad food". I had reduced fat peanut butter today and although I know it is high in protein, I still give myself a thumbs down for the day for eating it. How do I know what is "good" and "bad"?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Why a 'thumbs down'? Peanut butter is full of healthy fats. In fact, I really see no point in eating reduced fat PB. What's in it? Natural PB is nothing but peanuts and sometimes salt.

There is no good or bad food. No line to be drawn. There is just food that is high in vitamins and minerals, and food that is low in it. Eat the stuff that's higher in nutrients and lower in artificial stuff.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    respectfully diasgree

very bad foods...french fries cooked with trans fat oils
    not so bad food french fries cooked with vegetable oil
    so so food baked french fries
    good food sweet potato oven fries

it does matter what you eat
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    I give myself a thumbs down because I feel like pb is so high in fat and that I shouldnt be eating it. I am a vegetarian, so I dont really eat a whole lot of food that is high in fat or protien, so I was told that pb is a good way to go...I still feel like it is on that "bad foods" list though.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    respectfully diasgree

very bad foods...french fries cooked with trans fat oils
    not so bad food french fries cooked with vegetable oil
    so so food baked french fries
    good food sweet potato oven fries

it does matter what you eat

I don't think any fast food places use trans fat oils anymore.
    Yes it matters what you eat, but trying to draw a line between 'good' and 'bad' food is like saying there are 'good' and 'bad' children. Ice cream is actually low GI and contains a lot of calcium. Yet it's high in sugar and fat. Good or bad?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I give myself a thumbs down because I feel like pb is so high in fat and that I shouldnt be eating it. I am a vegetarian, so I dont really eat a whole lot of food that is high in fat or protien, so I was told that pb is a good way to go...I still feel like it is on that "bad foods" list though.

Fat isn't bad for you. It's essential for proper nerve and cell function and the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. It also keeps your hair and skin healthy.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    If your peanut butter isn't full of added sugar and unnecessary oils, it's great for you. Yes, it has a high fat content... but like SBS says, fat is ESSENTIAL. And as you are a vegetarian, you may not be getting enough fat from the rest of your diet.

All nuts are healthy in moderation. They are all high in fat, as well. Just keep your portion in control and you will have nothing to worry about.

I love me some natural peanut butter!