what your opinion on...

Options
Hi All

I was just wondering on what you opinions would be on having surgery to loose weight??

as in lap ban or gastric sleeve?? i know a few overweight people who have told me they have done everything to loose weight with nothing working and have resorted to going under the knife?
one of my friend almost died from complications from surgery..

I just wanted to know what are your thought on this topic!

thanks

Rebecca :D

Replies

• PatientBearTiger
    Options
    I'll give you my honest opinion although I know I will get ripped for it. I think it's lazy. It's the easy way out. Major surgery for someone because they didn't want to put the work in. I'm sure there are SOME cases in which there is no other option, but they are few and far between. My wife's cousin had lap band a couple of years ago. She's still overweight. She's the sweetest woman in the world but she is frighteningly lazy and never would have put in the work to lose weight on her own.

Go ahead y'all. Fire away and tell me how insensitive I am.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It isn't for me but it is none of my business if other people decide to take that route.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Talk to you personal doctor first before talking to the folks that are going to make money off you doing it.

Research all the pros and cons.

Give MFP a good chance first. Slow weight loss and learning a healthy lifestyle is the best way to go unless you have medical problems that prevent it.

Good luck to you!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are in sensitive. Being a rather large woman myself, I have honestly thought about it. And yes, it's because I am lazy. BUT, then I found MFP and it started to work. I have lost a good amount of weight. I have a LONG way to go, but I'll get there. surgery is extreme and NOT a cure-all!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous and there's no guarantee that you'd lose the weight or keep it off. So I would say... bad idea and not worth it.
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks guy but i personally dont need surgery ..... i just know people who have had it done and i my self think its lazy and people should just put in the hard yards

one of my friends almost died for the gastric surgery and she has not been able to eat a thing since august only ice & has a feeding tube... she had part of her stomach cut out and stapled up and it continues to leak & she is still not out of the woods yet
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it still be twice the work?? First, you're spending this money to lose weight. Even if it was covered, it's still being lazy. Regardless of the situation, what would you still have to do to maintain that sexy "surgury" body??

Eat healthy!!

What good does it do if you still have to do the work?? You'll have to watch what you eat & exercise.
    I'm not trying to drag the idea down but in a way, it's the truth.

Sure, you'll get that body you want quicker but if you were lazy in the first place to go under the knife, what makes you think you'll stick to dedicated healthy eating habits & exercise?? Highly unlikely. It takes work and patience.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't pass judgment onto the people who have had that surgery. I am not in their shoes so I don't know what goes on in their head or what they have been through, or what short-term consequences they may be up against that might put them through that decision.

That being said, coincidentally most of the people I know (not all) who have had this procedure or who are very seriously considering it, also do not understand how calories work and why binge diets dont.
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks guy but i personally dont need surgery ..... i just know people who have had it done and i my self think its lazy and people should just put in the hard yards

one of my friends almost died for the gastric surgery and she has not been able to eat a thing since august only ice & has a feeding tube... she had part of her stomach cut out and stapled up and it continues to leak & she is still not out of the woods yet
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I know two people who had surgeries for weight loss.They lost a lot of weight initially, then put it back on. So much stress on the body and dangerous too for what ended up to be a waste of money for them.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think it is fabulous for people who understand that it is just a tool and not a ~magic solution~.

I don't think it is strictly a lazy way out. My step-dad had it done and he has worked just as hard as I have, with the obvious exception being he COULDN'T bugger up his portion sizes.
  • racyj23
    Options
    I'm one of the insensitive ones too. Its like anything in life - if it is handed to you on a plate (excuse the pun) then you don't appreciate it. Those that have to work hard, appreciate how much effort went into it and they make an effort to keep it that way. My Ex Father in Law had gasteric bypass and lost 70kgs, then he wanted the government to pay for cosmetic surgery to get rid of the excess skin! He would have put a good 50kgs of that back on now - 5 years later. Fat doesn't just happen - its a lifestyle choice - just like healthy doesn't just happen - it is also a lifestyle choice. Generally your every day people don't just get to an unhealthy weight overnight - so they should take some responsibility and help get rid of it themselves.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    My mother had the lap band done. For lack of better way to describe it, her stomach grew around it, she had to have it removed. She now on many nights has to sleep sitting because of all the acid in her stomach. About twice a week she is up all might throwing up, I could keep going... These were all complications due to the lap band. She regrets having it done.

My sister had the gastric bypass surgery, she has lost a lot of weight fast but now she has an extreme amount of loose skin which is not a pretty thing bit she is happier and healthier than she was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I was just wondering on what you opinions would be on having surgery to loose weight??

as in lap ban or gastric sleeve?? i know a few overweight people who have told me they have done everything to loose weight with nothing working and have resorted to going under the knife?
    one of my friend almost died from complications from surgery..

I just wanted to know what are your thought on this topic!

thanks

Rebecca :D
    IMO, I hardly believe that someone does EVERYTHING to lose weight. There are some with major hormonal issues, but that's a handful of people compared to the "candidates" that have it done. If there were no surgeries possible, then people who have to lose wouldn't have a choice. With weight loss surgery, most take the easy route.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I'll give you my honest opinion although I know I will get ripped for it. I think it's lazy. It's the easy way out. Major surgery for someone because they didn't want to put the work in. I'm sure there are SOME cases in which there is no other option, but they are few and far between. My wife's cousin had lap band a couple of years ago. She's still overweight. She's the sweetest woman in the world but she is frighteningly lazy and never would have put in the work to lose weight on her own.

I agree with this 100%
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    The people I know who had either done just gained weight back. You still have to put in the work and effort to maintain. I can see where it's lifesaving for some, but for others, it's only a temporary fix.
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had a lap band put in a year ago. She gets food stuck and throws up with no warning....She lost almost all her wt in the few week of fluids only. if i only drank fluids for 8 wks i would probably lose 30 lbs also. She says she is glad she did it but imo it is not worth the $15000 of debt she took on to get it done
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had the lap band and beside the surgery risks the problem was that the weight loss is so fast that all the skin gets fluffy and now he is gonna have surgery to remove the excess of skin. Personally, if you dont have any physicall problem like thyroids i would be patient and do my diet and sport to put everything back in a good shape!
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Thanks dude.
    ANYWAY, dont ask people who havent had it done. Its hard work. Obviously, im still here.
  • nlghtcrawler
    Options
    my mom recently had gastric bypass surgery, she went from 190 to around 130, she has recently developed vitamin deficiency.
    my honest opinion, I was trying to get the surgery too, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. Also after hearing the problems she had/has with eating I don't think its worth it. I went on my lifestyle change a couple months after she got her surgery and I've gone from 358 to 202 with just watching calories and exercising.