"I eat because I'm depressed, I'm depressed because I'm fat"

Options
rrnay
rrnay Posts: 10 Member
Started 9-14-2011, my beginning weight was 251 lbs, currently at 228 lbs.
I have lost weight many times before and know how to do it but I always falter or have set back do to injury and the cycle begins again, the weight comes back. The injuries come from rugby and after a season I'm usually banged up, the workouts stop, the food choices are poor, the weight comes back. Like Fat *kitten* said "I eat because I'm depressed. I'm depressed because I'm fat". Makes me laugh but it is so true.
"Food is the most powerful drug there is.." read that some where and it stuck with me. Food changes our mental and physical state everyday, every moment, of our lives. Food is readily available for most of us and the varieties and quanities are limitless. It is all on us to make wise choices on what to eat, what size portion and what time we eat. For some it's an easy choice, my brother has no problem with portion control, me I'll eat till it's all gone!!
Fitness Pal has held me accountable, the grazing has stopped, the choices and portions are thought out. Oh and I'm mostly recovered from our rugby season and I have been working out daily and really getting after it!! So that's a big plus!!
Let's see how far I can go!! :tongue:

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    All the way, you can do it!!!

GG
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! It IS a vicious circle. Best of luck to you on your journey :happy:
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!! you can do it. I totally agree about the cycle thing ... iv lost 10 kg about 10 times!! Im hoping this time it will last :) Good to see you play rugby too. Go the ALL BLACKS
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Good attitude, you can do this. It's a journey with ups and downs. String more good days than bad together and it'll work.
  • tam42968
    tam42968 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are on the right track, keep it up!!!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a significant chunk of weight to have lost in less than a month. I'm blown away!
  • Crinkles2
    Crinkles2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No kidding! I've just started MFP this week & haven't been able to break that mood - over eating connection yet. Hoping to gain some insight from others' experience on the forums. Good luck & good health to us all!
  • lildoggielover
    lildoggielover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to do wonderful things! You can do it and we're all behind you.

11134420.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    That's the spirit! You got this!
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Get that crazy mentality out of your head!!!!!

You don't eat cause you're depressed! You eat cause you love to eat & when you stop caring about what you put in your mouth you put EVERYTHING in your mouth! I'm like that too :)

Look at a fat-*kitten* dog or cat... are they fat because they eat cause they're depressed ? Did they eat that whole bag of treats you left on the coffee table cause they didn't get enough snuggles today ? :( .... NO! they ate it cause you left it in a place they could get to it & they looove their treats!! If you keep feeding a dog beef jerky is it gonna stop eating it? No way that pup will follow you till it's gone & it's not cause they're bummed out about the pretty girl dog across the street not returning their barks!

So pay attention to what you eat & let all these healthy habits & thing's you've learnt like healthy choices & real portion sizes ect sink in cause those will kick in even when you're bummed out & just don't care as much as when you feel 100% :)

Looks like you've got it down though cause you're doing great & that weight is coming off! Congrats :)
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    that's great well proud of you.. me i cant seem to be under my calorie goal. It's holding me accountable for every little thing and i get depressed cus i cant loose weight and then like you said you eat. Me i am more likely if i have crisps in the house to grab that an then i feel guilty for doing it. It's a viscious cycle an glad your breaking out of it.. tell me ur weight loss secret lol
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The quotes I always think of remind me that it's not whether you fall, it's if you get back up.

1. You wouldn't overfill your gas tank onto the pavement below, why do it to your body?
    2. Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.

You'll find the way, you'll do it. All you need is your mind and support (which you definitely will find here!)
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oh, and pat yourself on the back for losing that weight, it's hard! Look what you've already done! You don't want to have to lose those SAME pounds again do you? I've had a similar issue with yo-yo dieting in the past, but it takes too much work to do it for the same pounds over and over :-)
  • rrnay
    Options
    No kidding! I've just started MFP this week & haven't been able to break that mood - over eating connection yet. Hoping to gain some insight from others' experience on the forums. Good luck & good health to us all!

I have breakfast and lunch ready the day before Mon thru Fri. Portion control is key and I use Pyrex containers, 1 cup size ( no casserole dishes) to keep things in check. I log everything that goes in my mouth, have to be honest, can't be lying to myself.
    For everyone just starting, you have to stick with, we're all different. I've never really had trouble losing (or gaining weight haha), it's just gets harder each year.
    Once you start seeing the results from your effort, it gets easier, the choices, the portion size, and working out.
  • rrnay
    Options
    You can do it! The quotes I always think of remind me that it's not whether you fall, it's if you get back up.

1. You wouldn't overfill your gas tank onto the pavement below, why do it to your body?
    2. Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.

You'll find the way, you'll do it. All you need is your mind and support (which you definitely will find here!)

Like the gas tank one, made me laugh :)
    Gotta say a sense of humor goes a long way.
    One that I like is "The first time you quit it hurts, the second time doesn't hurt so bad, the third time you don't feel a thing" Red Bryant
  • rrnay
    Options
    that's great well proud of you.. me i cant seem to be under my calorie goal. It's holding me accountable for every little thing and i get depressed cus i cant loose weight and then like you said you eat. Me i am more likely if i have crisps in the house to grab that an then i feel guilty for doing it. It's a viscious cycle an glad your breaking out of it.. tell me ur weight loss secret lol
    haha..secret is no junkfood in the house..just kidding..halloween candy sale the other day, who can pass up $1.00 reeses peanut butter cups..you know for the trick or treaters..even though I probably only have less than dozen groups come by..but I'm ready for hundreds..lol
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Is it the injury that is making you depressed or the weight. You don't have to exercise to loose weight. Just eat 500 cals less a day than you burn. I'm sure you learned how to drive a car....did you ever learn how to eat? Use carbs only before exercise. Keep carbs to a minimum otherwise.
  • rrnay
    Options
    I don't understand. Is it the injury that is making you depressed or the weight. You don't have to exercise to loose weight. Just eat 500 cals less a day than you burn. I'm sure you learned how to drive a car....did you ever learn how to eat? Use carbs only before exercise. Keep carbs to a minimum otherwise.
    Wouldn't really say I'm depressed (clinically at least) Just having some fun with a line from a movie.
    Injuries have slown me down form time to time (not looking for sympathy). If simply eating 500 calories less a day was so easy then this sight wouldn't exist.
    In the my post I stated I knew how be done to keep the weight off, just don't follow the path. This time I'm using MFP to help out.
  • rrnay
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!! you can do it. I totally agree about the cycle thing ... iv lost 10 kg about 10 times!! Im hoping this time it will last :) Good to see you play rugby too. Go the ALL BLACKS

ALL-BLACKS supporter big time!! Been watching the matches live..killing my sleep routine though!! lol
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Every time you are about to eat the wrong food ask yourself..what do you want. Health or a heart attack. You know its comming. If your over weight, you know its comming.