can you help me with my question regarding swimming

Options
how many lengths of a 25meter pool would i have to swim to make 1/2 a mile or a mile???

i tried to work it out and ive worked out 32 lengths for 1/2 a mile but it seems to take 30 min to do that
can someone pleasehelp me ???

Replies

• wolfxxi
    wolfxxi Posts: 19
    Options
    32 lengths is right (for a 1/2 mile), but that's one way, or it's 16 trips back and forth.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're right 800m is approximately 1/2 mile.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Unless my calculations are wayyyy off...you are right with 32 lengths... and as for the time it takes, it all depends on you swiming speed, if you look at it this way... if you walk 1mph it will take you 30 mins to walk a half mile, if you are swiming at 1mph same thing, and there is always the slow down when you switch direction in the pool...once again, i might be completely wrong... but i tried
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    1 Mile = 1609.344 Meters - so those that say 800m or 16 two way trips is right!
  • frankie2637
    frankie2637 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definately 32 lengths :)
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone:) i dont think ill ever make a mile lol as i am totaly pooped after 1/2 a mile lol
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can do it, it just takes time to build up speed and stamina for increased distance. I have been swimming regularly for about 6 weeks now. When I first started I could manage 800 metres (0.52 miles) in 30 minutes - and I pretty much couldn't swim for any longer, now I swim 2km (1.24 miles) in an hour (1km (0.62 miles) in 30 minutes), and I'm sure that will continue to increase as time goes on.

I encourage you to keep at it, swimming rocks!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your question - it inspired me to go swimming and see if I can still swim 1/2 a mile! (I can -32 lengths in 29 mins - and feel really enthused)