i'm stuck

Options
i really want to know why one week i'll lose 2 or 3 pounds then others i won't lose a thing (or worse i'll gain weight)

I have the same sort of eating patterns almost all the time so that cannot be too much of an influence but it doesn't seem to be working.

When I first joined MFP I lost quite a bit of weight.. it is now starting to slow down and almost stop.

So what I'm after really is some advice.. what can I do to kick start my weight loss again and are there certain foods that can help? I'm finding it more and more of a struggle so I'm starting to lose motivation and this i do not like.

Replies

• tycholien
    tycholien Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your exercise calories? If not, you could be in 'starvation mode', which causes the body to retain weight rather than losing it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your exercise calories? If not, you could be in 'starvation mode', which causes the body to retain weight rather than losing it.

Are you eating to enough? Are eating back your exercise calories, oh and water , water, water!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too. I've been stuck at the same weight give or take 2 pounds since July!!

Through the forums and research I've found out that the more weight we lose or the closer we get to goal, the harder it is to lose weight. There are a number of reasons for this:

*our bodies get 'used' to the calorie deficient lifestyle and the metabolism slows down
    *the body needs to adjust to a new weight and is reluctant to keep changing
    *you weigh less so expend less energy

The research offers a number of ways to break through a plateau from changing intensity of exercise, to re-visiting calorie intake, to going into maintenance for a while and than going back to a calorie deficiency, to zig zaggin calories.

I'm in the process of seeing what will work. You can add me and I'll let you know!.

Good luck! :smile:
  • Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Its about sticking to the regime, if you keep using the site accurately it should work through.
    I like to give a blast on the exercise interspersed with recovery and nil exercise.

Last week I did three days of cycling, 200Km per day and ate everything, cooked breakfasts, family bag of jelly babies , licorice allsorts, but needed to graze whilst cycling.

Anyway, weighed in after and had put on 4lbs, but then after a couple of days back on the diet the weight dropped off. The exercise keeps working afterwards.

When I go on a long ride I need all the calories I can eat and my body gets into burning them, so when I stop and I don't need the calories anymore because I've stopped cycling then my body is still at a higher metabolic weight.

So I hope that helps.
  • 15Fenton
    Options
    try some cardio bursts in your excercising. like a minute of jumping jacks, then rest 20 secs, then lift your knees up as high as you can , like running in place for a minute, rest, act like you are punching something real hard. I hired a trainer and she has these things to do that rev up the metabolism. of if you are walking, run for 2 minutes, walk, run you get the idea
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    i do Zumba as exersise, which is pretty good.

and i do try and get as close to my calorie goal as possible as i do often under-eat.. but it's difficult to do so without going way over on sugar or fat.. so i'm quite often left with 100+ calories.