Recommend me a great beginner's Marathon training plan

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I'm searching high and low for my perfect marathon training plan and I hope MFP can help me.

I've been running for 15 years but very slowly and mostly over short distances. I have run/walked one marathon before, but due to illness and injury it took me over 7 hours, so let's assume I'm a beginner.

I've got a place in the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 but I'm taking a break from running for a few weeks to fully recover from plantar fasciitis, so I effectively have 24 weeks to train. I'm prepared to train four days a week and cross-train on two more. Realistically I expect to finish in 5.5 to 6 hours with walk breaks.

Obviously I've looked around and these are the problems I've found with some of the so-called beginner's programmes so far:

1. They have you running six or seven days a week (London Marathon's own!)
2. They only take you up to running for 3 hours - not nearly enough for me.
3. They start you running 6 miles. Though I know I can do it, while recovering from injury I'd rather start at 30 minutes/3 miles.
4. They take more than than 24 weeks (Galloway takes 32)
5. The take just 12 or 16 weeks and build too quickly

Am I asking too much? Can I really find a compromise that will have me avoiding injury and crossing the finishing line with a smile? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance for your help lovely MFPers :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sbrodeur100
    sbrodeur100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This probably qualifies under the #3, starting at 6 miles, but I had success when I ran a marathon using Hal Higdons novice program a few years back.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used this plan, it has worked well for me twice.

It doesn't start as slowly as you would like, but I would definitely recommend it.

Enjoy :-)

Week # Sun Mon Tues Weds Thurs Fri Sat TOTAL
    1 10 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 34
    2 12 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 36
    3 6 Rest 4 Rest 4 Rest 4 18
    4 14 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 38
    5 16 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 5 41
    6 18 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 5 43
    7 6 Rest 5 Rest 5 Rest 4 20
    8 20 Rest 5 7 6 Rest 4 42
    9 14 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 38
    10 7 Rest 5 Rest 6 Rest 4 22
    11 21 Rest 5 7 6 Rest 4 43
    12 14 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 38
    13 8 Rest 6 Rest 6 Rest 4 24
    14 22-23 Rest 5 7 6 Rest 5 45-46
    15 12 Rest 6 8 6 Rest 4 36
    16 14 Rest 7 Rest 5 Rest 4 30
    17 10 Rest 6 Rest 4 Rest 1-2 20-22
    18 26.2 Marathon Rest Rest Rest Rest Rest Rest Marathon week
  • njkkc
    njkkc Posts: 2
    Options
    Higdon also has a beginner plan to prepare you to start his training plans that prepare you for the Novice plans. The long runs start at 3 miles and you gradually build to 6. It's a 12 week prep for the 18 week training program. Very beginner friendly. You can find on the link posted above.
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a PDF file that I use, if you message me your e-mail address I will send it to you.

-Erik
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Google Jeff Galloway. He has a great running program that is 3-4 days a week and very gradual and it starts with 3 mile long runs. I just did my own version of his half training program and it was great. He also does the run - walk, but that is totally up to you , you can just take out the waking and do the runs like I did. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    Options
    sbrodeur100 and njkkc, Hal Higdon does get great props on here from beginners and improvers alike, and it does look eminently do-able with the build-up weeks, thanks.

Sam426f, great that you've had success with that, a bit tough at the start for me, but I'll incorporate some ideas, thanks.

Orrgarde86, I'd love to see your plan, I'll drop you a line, thanks.

I am constantly shocked with some of the commercially available beginner's plans, and even those from charities and race organisers, just can't fathom that a Marathon might take some people more than four hours, or that they can't already run for 10 miles!

For the time being I'm hitting other cardio like a mad thing to not lose any fitness and doing unspeakable things to the sole of my foot. Rolling with frozen water bottle? Brrrr!
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've emailed it to you now!

-Erik
  • BerryH
    Options
    FunRun, I'm a huge plan of Galloway's run/walk method. Sadly his plan's too long for when I'll be able to start. He's the only one who recommends running the full race distance in training, which must make the race day feel relatively easy!

Thanks Orrgarde86, it's arrived :smile:
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    This may be a little unorthodox and require a bit more work, but have you thought about taking what you like about each of the plans and making your own hybrid? Just get a big calendar and write out your own schedule, and that way you can build up the mileage without too much pressure or the higher possibility of injuring/re-injuring yourself. This obviously only works if you can realistically push yourself and know the build up to push yourself to improve, but not to get hurt.

Good luck!
  • ralphation
    Options
    I'd never run before at all but wanted to do a marathon. I used this as my guide. It was brilliant as it tackles both the physical and mental aspects of training and the event. It was invaluable in helping me complete the 2005 NY marathon.

The running part takes 16 weeks which you say is too short but that doesn't include the period it prescribes for you to get up to where you can run for 3 miles non-stop. The training works by distance so you can run for as long as it takes.

It deals well with how to stretch, deal with injuries and reinforces the idea of not overdoing it as a beginner. I started getting injuries after a few weeks but once I went back and did the stretches properly and warmed down and used techniques to reduce joint swelling I was fine and i completed the marathon in 6h06m with no injuries.

The link allows you to look through the book first but in any case it is worth buying in its own right. It amazes m this book is not better known considering it is a course sepcifically for beginners.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318332669&sr=8-1
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Why not take the general theme of a plan and adjust it to fit your schedule? Plans are guides, not set in stone absolutes.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been following John Stanton's running plan for my first marathon. I'm in the last couple days of training. My marathon is this Sunday. It's a great resource book. He's the owner of the Running Room in Canada but I'm pretty sure the book is available everywhere. Here's a link for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Running-John-Stanton/dp/0143176099/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308921318&sr=8-4
  • BerryH
    Options
    Wow, MFP constantly amazes me at being such a fountain of knowledge, thanks!

I think as Abbie and Rybo suggested I'll write my own programme based on the closest match, which on first glance seems to be Hal Higdon's "Novice Supreme",and jiggle the first few weeks about a bit. Depending on how my feet and joints hold up, I may need to swap one mid-week run for cross-training, I'll see how it goes.

Spreadsheet for the fridge coming up!

Thanks everyone, you rock! :flowerforyou:
  • dawnstl
    dawnstl Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first full marathon and am battling plantar fasciitis myself. Have you been to a doctor about it yet? Don't wait too long like I did and it becomes harder to treat. I saw a podiatrist yesterday and came home with a list of exercises, etc. as well as getting a cortisone shot (ouch).

Good luck to you!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Read "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield; they have 20-week plans for run/walking and running a marathon - and the book itself is very encouraging for those of us who are slow and steady "penguins" as John Bingham refers to himself:

http://www.amazon.com/Marathoning-Mortals-John-Bingham/dp/1579547826/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318354003&sr=1-1
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    I found this helpful. The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training by Dawn Dais.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    training plans are guidelines, not gospel

my $.02 - I send all newbies to Higdon (I'm not a fan of Gallowalking at all)
  • alexfaty
    Options
    Must say I agree a lot of those training plans can be a bit much!

I have done 7 marathons now, next next is on 22nd Oct 10 days time weheee! and I have a place in London.. :-)

I have found that my legs cannot do more than 30 miles a week before they start to get injured, I do my own little plans that are 3 runs a week, 1 long one at the weekend, 1 short fast one and 1 about an hour or so. Then I also cycle, swim do boxerise and strength and conditioning work - I have really found that since I have being doing the strength work my running has got a lot better.

BUT - this is a huge BUT Everyone is so different, because I have been running distance for a long time my body in always in a state of being able to do 13 miles so all my plans are based from this start point. I will be doing my marathon in 10 days time then I will be taking a couple of weeks off long runs to recover, after that I will be doing 10-13 mile long run between now and Christmas and I wont be doing more than that until after Christmas. After Christmas I will do about a month of 15milers, 6 weeks of 18's maybe a 20 if I am not suffering with colds etc and then I will be ready for London in April...

Is anyone else in London 2012 - Add me if you are! Could do with being pushed out of the door on those cold winter mornings :-)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Hal Higdon. I love the plans and the overall attitude he has about (adjust if needed to fit your life, as long as you stick to it solidly, etc) I've been using his 10-K plan and plan on using his Half Marathon plan for my first half next year.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've just checked out the Running Method app on my iPhone and they have a marathon run/walk plan that includes walks of up to 5 hours - you can customise the plan for walk/run, beginner runner, intermediate runner, number of training days per week etc.

I'm currently tossing up between the Running Method one and the Runkeeper plan for my half in Feb - but I think I'll go with Runkeeper.