New Guy

Options
Hello all I am new to this program I'm accually starting today I am 25yo I am disabled and I need to lose weight because it is effecting my everyday life i am a very sedentary person and i want to change that i am unable to run/jog but i can walk at a slow pace on a tredmill for about 10 min at a time most of my muscle/strength is in my upper body because i am partially pareplegic, also I am currently a smoker and i am going to remedy that very soon probably tomorrow... Anyways I'm glad to be here and I'm always willing to listen to anyones advise and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.

Replies

• Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • gimpy_flipipino
    Options
    Thanks I'm excited and have a good feeling about this
  • Angied1
    Angied1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Well done for getting started and over the first hurdle. I started this program yesterday as I need to lose a few pounds too.

As I'm just getting started, I'm afraid I have no tips or advice to offer but wanted to say Hi and wish you well on your new journey. If I could offer you any advice at all, I'd just say do one thing at a time - losing weight and giving up smoking at the same time would be very commendable, but these are 2 big changes to your life, so I'd be tempted to say that by doing one thing at a time would make your end goals more realistic. By all means, cut down your smoking so that you gradually cut it out. You won't miss the nicotine so much either this way. I would be tempted to see you Doctor to get his advice on this.

Anyway, best of luck here's to many lost pounds.

Angie :-)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) I vote you just start by setting a realistic weight loss goal for yourself (0.5 to 1 lbs per week) and focus only on staying within your calorie range for the first couple weeks.

You'll find that the more healthy things you eat, the more you GET to eat. You won't get full off 1700 calories of crap food, but 1700 calories of healthy food will leave you satisfied.

It's HARD at first to eat within that limit, but it gets easier. Then maybe focus on adding in exercise and/or quitting smoking. Angied1 is right -- two things at once are difficult.

Baby steps!!!
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!