breastfeeding - is it classed as exercise !

Options
hello, i am new around these parts but just wondered, is there an amount of exercise equivalent to breastfeeding.
my son is 16months old so has 3 meals a day but i reckon is spending maybe 30-45mins a day feeding (if all were added up) obv i've no idea how much milk he's having but i would say it's 'quite a bit' as he's quite fat.
any ideas, i don't know if breastfeeding a newborn takes more or less calories than an older baby.

can anyone shed any light on this for me please.

tthanks

sarah x

Replies

• Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you asking so if you know whether to eat the extra calories or not?
    I just finished breastfeeding after 4 years straight, (2 children) but at that age i just didin't really count it even though they fed all day, just in the earlier days where i felt like I could use the extra food. Good on you for still breastfeeding :)
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yes it is listed under exercise. It uses your stomach muscles. Approx. 500 cals per feeding.
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    When you are breastfeeding a newborn around the clock you would need more calories than now yes, but if you are finding yourself hungry then def eat a bit extra of the good stuff :)
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    Yes it is listed under exercise. It uses your stomach muscles. Approx. 500 cals per feeding.

What do you mean about it using your stomach muscles? Ive never heard this.
    Also its not 500 cal per feeding. Generally as a breastfeeding mother you need 300-500 extra calories per day.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Mostly the extra energy is required for making the milk. In the early days it does cause the uterus to contract and thus makes your stomach shrink quicker. I'm not sure about it using your stomach muscles any more than standing or sitting though.
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    Mostly the extra energy is required for making the milk. In the early days it does cause the uterus to contract and thus makes your stomach shrink quicker. I'm not sure about it using your stomach muscles any more than standing or sitting though.

Yep you are right about the uterus thing, but that doesn't take too long.
  • clarainabasket
    Options
    i don't tend to lose my babyweight until i stop feeding altogether, don't we use calories for milk production though...
    i am only on 1200 a day so 300 extra would make ALL the difference! i think he probably drinks about 20oz a day (if i think what we'd replace in cups although who knows, which i would say is about what a newborn would eat over a day isn't it

<<cluttches strawers emoticon>>
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    i don't tend to lose my babyweight until i stop feeding altogether, don't we use calories for milk production though...
    i am only on 1200 a day so 300 extra would make ALL the difference! i think he probably drinks about 20oz a day (if i think what we'd replace in cups although who knows, which i would say is about what a newborn would eat over a day isn't it

<<cluttches strawers emoticon>>

How old is your baby? 1200 really isn't a lot, and id be surprised if your milk supply wasn't affected by eating that low, since you need that as a minimum for yourself alone.
  • clarainabasket
    Options
    he's 16months old so on 3 meals a day but i sahm so he feeds maybe 5 or 6 times a day.
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    I reakon just go by your hunger, so if you need more food then have it. Are you finding yourself really hungry? I never really got ravenous from breastfeeding, but some friends did.
    Also do you have a lot of weight to lose? I calories needs also depends on your goals :)
  • Ayla20103005
    Options
    My 2 fed alll day long no matter how much food they ate too LOL
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My baby is 6 months...feed about 5 times per day. I have played around with how much I add and I have found that adding about 300 cals makes me feel satisfied. It I dont have the extra, I find myself very hungry. Hope this helps!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I reckon 1200 is too low if you are still feeding, but I am no expert and I have not read anything on this thread that I would trust. Get onto your health care professional and get proper information instead of all these guesses.
  • clarainabasket
    Options
    i want to lose 4 stone (ideally!) to get me back to where i was 6 years ago, suspect 2.5stone more realistic though! so between 30lbs and 50 lbs.

our HCP's are pretty confused re breastfeeding past 6months or so. I will try kellymom\LLL.

out of interest, is there a 300cal an hour activity i can pretend i do every day... (!)
  • Slammmoo21
    Slammmoo21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yea...I dnt think that it is 500 cal per feeding. That is quite high....300-500 per day sounds more accurate...but im not an expert.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Juts look it up in the food database, there are several options for breastfeeding. It adds negative calories to your diary.
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Mine is 8 months and still breastfeed most times of the day but i dont add the extra cal to my daily cal allowing's and she still has enouth milk:laugh:
  • clarainabasket
    Options
    :blushing:

i might be being really dim but i can't find it in tthe food database. can you do me an idiot proof way of finding it as i've said i walk an hour carrying a 15lb infant every day *which is probably true* and not included any other exercise or walking iyswim.

i am always hungry\greedy so no point saying eat when i am hungry...
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I believe it is! Take it from a mom of 3 and 3 years back to back of BREASTFEEDING!! LOL
  • jgilhen
    jgilhen Posts: 31
    Options
    Go to the food database and look breastfeeding up under snacks. I am breastfeeding (all day and night really) and I need an extra 600 calories a day (1800 altogether) and 65 grams of protein. I would not eat less then this or it might effect milk supply, also I take vitamens and eat alot of my cooked veggies raw to make sure I get the most nutrition out of the foods I eat at this time.