I feel ike giving up

Options
Today was rough. I ate 119 over my alloted amount even with me burning 680 calories today. What is my problem. I think when I got on the scale and saw that I gained 2 lbsthis week it made me feel bad. Why am I not losing weight? I have been eating 1200 calories and working out 5 days a week burning 500-700cal a day. I feel like it is useless. I feel like giving up on me.

Replies

• amahlman
    amahlman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Today was rough. I ate 119 over my alloted amount even with me burning 680 calories today. What is my problem. I think when I got on the scale and saw that I gained 2 lbsthis week it made me feel bad. Why am I not losing weight? I have been eating 1200 calories and working out 5 days a week burning 500-700cal a day. I feel like it is useless. I feel like giving up on me.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    dont give up :mad:
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    Maybe trying eating half of your workout calories. That has helped me at times. I go up and down .You have to feel your way around to see what works for you. Are you drinking your water also. That does help. :drinker: :drinker:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I was on a plateau for like 3 months. I was within a 5 pound range and just couldn't break it. I was still training and watching what I ate. I realized that even if I stayed the same weight the exercise was helping me. I am able to much more then ever before. My pants fall off if I loosen my belt. I am feeling much better about myself. So stick with it. The exercise is good for you and this too will pass and you will start loosing pounds. And you will be more fit. Just hang in there:smile:
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Please don't give up. I am doing 1200 cals a day too and with all that you are burning in exercise, I am shocked that you aren't going over more than 119 calories. Have you---

Tried eating your exercise calories?

Tried cutting out 2-3 of your workouts per week? Counter-intuitive I know, but this is how I broke through my last plateau. I think my body freaked out if I asked it to exercise so much with so few calories.

Also, are you getting enough sleep? If I am lacking on sleep, the weight won't budge no matter what I do.

And water?

I say keep at it, mix it up, try not to get hung up on the numbers--sometimes mine don't move when they should and then surprize me when they move when they shouldn't.

Please PLEASE do not give up.
  • frenchiefit
    Options
    Don't give up ... You are doing the right thing, actually if you are working out as much as you indicated, you may not be eating enough calories. It takes 2/3 weeks before your body understands what you are doing so it can start burning. Don't weight yourself every day as fluids fluctuate ... Your body will slow your metabolism if it senses that you might be putting it in starving mode. Going a little over your calories is not a huge problem. Don't beat yourself up. Check with the gym where you work out what their calorie intake recommendation is for your height, current weight and goal. It takes months to put on the pounds and it takes a while to burn and take them off for good, which is the goal. Sometimes you may loose inches rather than pounds ... be patient ! Don't give up you are on the right track. You may want to check how many carbs you are taking in at each meal also, we need carbs for energy but not too much since it gets stored as fat. For a woman trying to loose weight it should be no more than 60 grs at each meal. To calculate the carbs on a packaged product you take total carbs and subtract the fiber, that gives you the net carbs. Fiber is basically flushed out. Make sure you have some plant fat as it helps with digestion and to use nutrients efficiently. Make sure that you also drink plenty of fluids like water, teas ...not too much soda. Good luck !
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    ditto ditto ditto
    you can do this! results will come! :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    dory.jpg

Don't give up-- Just keep swimming!!
  • LOSINGITALL
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP. I WAS THE SAME WAY. I INITIALLY WORKED OUT FOR A FULL MONTH SOMETIMES TWICE A DAY AND WAS VERY ACTIVE DURING THE DAY, AS I AM CURRENTLY DEPLOYED AND I GAINED WEIGHT ALSO. I WAS COUNTING CALORIES BURNED AS WELL AS THOSE THAT I TOOK IN. EVENTUALLY THE WEIGHT DID START COMING OFF FOR ME AND IT WILL HAPPEN FOR YOU AS WELL. SO PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP!! HANG IN THERE AND KEEP AT IT. IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE END. AND BELIEVE ME WHEN YOU SEE THOSE FIRST TWO OR THREE POUNDS COME OFF, YOUR MOTIVATION WILL INCREASE AND YOU WILL SUCCEED!!!!!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    " I am a wife, and a mother and have somehow lost myself in that equation. I am working on taking more time for myself. Loving myself and feeling I am worth it is the key to my weight loss." That is a beautiful statement made by a beautiful woman--you! (I snuck a peek at your home page :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Today, for whatever reason, just didn't feel like it worked for you. Tomorrow is new. Just keep loving yourself and doing what you are doing. Long term you will see the results. Short term, we'll just keep encouraging you! :heart:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? Did MFP calculate that you should eat 1200 calories or is that just what you decided on? Contrary to popular belief, 1200 calories is not the magic number that everyone needs to eat to lose weight.....it's the absolute minimum that you should eat to stay healthy and keep from going into starvation mode.

In my opinion, the bare minimum doesn't seem like it's enough to be healthy. Especially depending on your weight, height, age , and body type, it may simply not be enough. Try upping your calories to 1400 or 1500 and see if that helps. If you're not eating your exercise calories, start eating them!
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who are saying that you may not be eating enough calories for the amount that you are working out. I have heard that the reason our bodies store fat is to prepare it for starvation periods. Even though this was more pertinent a long time ago when humans had to store more fat in the winter because of less food supply, your body still reacts the same way when it is working too hard for the calories it is receiving - your body may just be trying to protect you in its own way.

So maybe try cutting down on workouts just a bit or try adding a few more calories.

But whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! You can do this!!! You are worth it! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    You must seek out the knowledge that will guide you to the right path to loosing weight. Learn about exercise, nutrition, your body, your environment...etc etc... The ONLY way you loose is if you quit.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You must seek out the knowledge that will guide you to the right path to loosing weight. Learn about exercise, nutrition, your body, your environment...etc etc... The ONLY way you loose is if you quit.
    Yes, use the force.:laugh: