Finished the couch to 5k but not running 5k. Advice?

Options
I have just finished the couch to 5k programme. This is an amazing thing for me. When I started the programme I had never run before and now I am managing to ruin for 30 mins. And I have lost 41lbs so far. However, I am not yet running 5K. I am so slow that I am only managing about 3.5K in the running section. Anyone else have this problem? Any advice for getting faster. Is it just a case of practise practise practise??

Replies

• amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Look up one hour runner, and try that program. It's basically a 10K training program, but it's based on time, not distance, so it should help. I plan on starting it when I'm finished.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Practise, practise, practise!Maybe try doing the program again or re-start at week 5 or so until you there Good luck!! :smile:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I'm guessing your from the UK , if you check out this website.

http://www.parkrun.com/home

You might find improvement when running with others
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Running a 5k in 30 minutes is no easy task. Especially for a runner just starting out. Measure out a 5k distance and time yourself running it. Try to improve one your time every time you run it. Concentrate on your breathing while you run. Take longs breaths in through your nose over 3 strides and exhale through the mouth over 3 strides. You want to get a deep "belly" breath.
    Practice makes you faster.
  • karentazdevil
    karentazdevil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hope this isnt stating the obvious but have you done intermittent training on a treadmill?

Where you run say for 2 minutes (at 7.5km per hr +) then slow down to a fast walk for 2 mins(5.5kmph) & build up your running speed that way?
    Do 5km in total which will take about 40 to 50 mins then increase the run time & reduce the walk time every training session so you end up reducing the time it takes to do the 5k because you are running more of it than you are walking.( run for 8 mins, walk for 2 etc)
    Your stamina will improve every time so that it wont be long before you are running the whole 5k in about 30 mins.

You can road run intermittantly too but its just harder to get the pace right but the same stamina improvements occur because you just get faster & fitter.

I really hope that helps as im no expert, im just training with a PT in the gym for my first half marathon in may 2012 & thats how i started.

All the best
    Karen
  • gailduncan
    gailduncan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. Even though my fitness has improved greatly, I'm not too fast on my feet. I guess the more you do it, the better you get. I'm going to start improving on my 20min distance and take it up from there.

I;m also going to try intervals as I've heard others recommend them for improving speed.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your from the UK , if you check out this website.

http://www.parkrun.com/home

You might find improvement when running with others

Thanks. I had been considering this. The only thing putting me off is that the nearest one to me is around 45 min drive. Might still try it though.
  • Givemewings
    Options
    I hope this isnt stating the obvious but have you done intermittent training on a treadmill?

Where you run say for 2 minutes (at 7.5km per hr +) then slow down to a fast walk for 2 mins(5.5kmph) & build up your running speed that way?
    Do 5km in total which will take about 40 to 50 mins then increase the run time & reduce the walk time every training session so you end up reducing the time it takes to do the 5k because you are running more of it than you are walking.( run for 8 mins, walk for 2 etc)
    Your stamina will improve every time so that it wont be long before you are running the whole 5k in about 30 mins.

You can road run intermittantly too but its just harder to get the pace right but the same stamina improvements occur because you just get faster & fitter.

I really hope that helps as im no expert, im just training with a PT in the gym for my first half marathon in may 2012 & thats how i started.

All the best
    Karen

Many thanks. I am a member of a gym so I may well give this a try. Thanks for the details! :smile:
  • Givemewings
    Options
    Thanks to all those who answered. Your answers have given me some food for thought. Just have decide on an action plan now! :wink:
  • Givemewings
    Options
    bump
  • karentazdevil
    karentazdevil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are welcome, all the best.
    P.S You look great hope you get where you want to be soon x
  • babebree
    babebree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k? I have never heard of that
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k? I have never heard of that

www.c25k.com
  • cactus39
    Options
    The more you run the longer you can go. The trick is to go a little further each time. I started out walking and running. I run until I feel I must walk. As soon as I catch my breath, I go again. Now, I can jog 5 miles in 45min which I am trying to improve on. I did a half marathon which I jogged 9 miles straight and walk/ran the rest.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you have to stop at 30 minutes, either. Get out there and run 5K, no matter how long it takes you. It still takes me about 36 minutes to run three miles. Of course, right now I'm training for a 10K, so I run for 6 miles, no matter how long that takes me.
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
    I just signed up for my first 5k....nervous!