My Achilles heel is my "Achilles heel"...

Options
The achy breaky pain starts at the base of my calf muscle and wraps under my heel. It has been this way on and off for years. Running makes it feel better at first, then so much worse the following day. Yeah, I know. Stay off of it until it stops. RICE. Ibuprofin. Tried it, never truly goes away. Plus, if I stay off it I get fatter. Running is my therapy, so it's pain or maybe going around, slapping people all day.

Any unconventional suggestions? Commiseration? Tough love? Intervention? :-)

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If it's been going on for years, you might need a consult. You could have a tear that requires repair.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    they do take along time to repair,i had mine for probally 8 months before it got beter.
    stay off hill climbs,walk dont run and no high heals!
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello ive hurt mine before and every now and then it starts to hurt again i just wear an ankle support for a few days and the pain seems to die off again good luck
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yup! Going through that right now....

I learned I have flat-feet, extra-wide/no flippers necessary, calcaneal spurs - "HOOKS OF HELL" as I so lovingly refer to them as... lol!

I dropped a good 55 pounds (including the 9 here) and every time I lose weight, the tendons have to re-adjust and then BOOM!!!!!! Pain comes back. Im on my feet, hustling around every day working as a chef, who left a second full time job working in healthcare - a desk job... with the one job I have where Im running around (sometimes literally), the heels get a workout...

For my situation, I wear supportive inserts. My jobsite was AWESOME in ordering inserts with my work-shoes for me... in fact they insisted.. hell, Im not going to argue with my boss if she wants to purchase them! LOL

I could go for surgery but, I just cant be out of work.... time will tell down the road though as Im sure Ill come to a point where, I just cant take it anymore...
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information! It began after I had my kids. I wore heels all the time before, and now I never do...I suspect that may contribute to the problem. Love the orthotics idea, went and grabbed some otc to stick in my shoes until I can get to a doctor. Wh