ex-smoker

Options
Well, I beat the cigarettes after 40 yrs of smoking. Last night I got on the scale and got so depressed. I can't stop gaining weight. I have gained around 40 lbs. I know that the only way to lose it is to track what I put in my mouth. I guess I have just been avoiding it. Anyway, glad I found this place. Good luck to all of you :) We CAN do it!

Replies

• suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! And you will. If we stopped smoking, we can do anything we set our mind to!

Glad you're here :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    This will be easy compared to quiting smoking. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • raadkins
    raadkins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I quit after 30 yrs about 9 months ago and gained 40lbs. My lung doctors nurse asked how did I do it and what did I put in it's place. I looked down at myself and said obviously food! That is what brought me here. I ws over weight to begin with then I quit and the pounds just piled on more!
    We can do this!
    Good Luck!
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you but well minus 30 years! I was a two pack a day smoker and I quit cold turkey in Feb... I've had one slip up since and then was right back on the anit-smoking ban wagon. I gained about 30+ pounds because of eating out of control and substituting one addiction for another.... I have found that exercise really helps.... a lot of people will tell you that and you are going to think they are all full of it but seriously it helps! Also really strong things like sugar free altoids or sugar free cinnimon disks really helped me with the 'mouth' aspect of quitting smoking. I hope you continue to remain smoke free and that you find your weight loss journey one of great satisfaction.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Well, I beat the cigarettes after 40 yrs of smoking. Last night I got on the scale and got so depressed. I can't stop gaining weight. I have gained around 40 lbs. I know that the only way to lose it is to track what I put in my mouth. I guess I have just been avoiding it. Anyway, glad I found this place. Good luck to all of you :) We CAN do it!
    Yes WE can!! And don't forget it!! You packed up the smokes, you can drop the excess baggage too!!
  • k2thaj
    k2thaj Posts: 41
    Options
    Congratulations, I just quit smoking a month ago and it still sucks sometimes, but the future will definitely get brighter. There is a lot of support on this site to help you through the tough time, good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking - that is such an immensely positive change for your health. The weight will come off in time when you start working on it. If you are still fighting cravings (I got random cravings for a few years after I quit) I found that exercise really helps.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you can beat smoking, you can beat the weight gain! I quit smoking a year in a half ago and it was one of the biggest accomplishments I've ever had. Until now, I've lost 90 pounds total.....if I can do it ANYONE can! We are all here for support and to give advice when needed. I wish you lots of luck and lots of healthy choices! Keep your head up.......

6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Quiting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. If we can do that, we can do anything. My doc said quitting smoking is harder to quit than heroin.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of us ex-smokers on here i put on 20 to my already heavy frame when i quit.. Its a mind set take control of your life and of your body. you can do it.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking 5 weeks ago and started going to the gym and eating healthly...................let me put your mind at rest, I am getting fitter and losing weight........exercise and healthy food are a must.

I am never hungry and eat more than I did before when I was smoking............I keep off bad carbs like refined flour, white bread, pasta etc ( which for me is no problem as I am not a great fan) but eat plenty of chicken, vegetables etc.

Keep eating heathly and do what ever exercise you can do..............even walking to post a letter is better than using the car !
  • bestnanaever
    Options
    I guess the only think that is frustrating is the fact that last year at this time I was trying to GAIN weight. Basically, I could eat whatever I wanted and couldn't gain an ounce. The doctors will not admit that nicotine speeds up metabolism....I know it's true, but I can't start smoking again to lose the weight....it just sucks to have to diet :(