Maintenance?

Options
Hey,

I have been really having trouble with binging lately. I make it through the day just fine but by the evening I can consume ridiculous amounts of calories in one setting. My weight loss goal is to go from 125 to 117-118. I am 5'5" with a more athletic frame (aka large bone structure). I am wondering if it is better for me maybe to focus on maintenance rather than weight loss for a while and maybe try to lose a few more pounds later. Maybe this will help to alleviate the binging. Maybe it is my body trying to tell me that this low calorie intake is just not good for my body right now... unrealistic goal? I dont know to be honest but these binge cycles must stop because it just causes me so much guilt and self loathing. I also might add I am an avid runner, so I do have a considerable amount of leg muscle.

What are others thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• brynakrauth
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? You need to keep a diary and find out what you are feeling when your are binging. Chances are, something emotional is triggering the overeating. If you find yourself doing it at night, plan evening activities that keep you out of the kitchen and keep your heart feeling good (happy inside).
    Binge eating is a cycle and there are triggers for it. You need some soul searching to find out why you are eating like this and then make a plan to stop the insanity! You can do it. It's really hard because it's usually associated with some yucky feelings from your past. But, once you figure out why you are binging.....you can actually do something about it.
    I've been through this and I know how hard it can be. There are days when I still want to eat and eat and eat to fill myself up. Get out of the kitchen, go for a walk, do yoga, get outside, go to a movie, spend time with friends, there are so many options. You can kick this habit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    117 is quite low when you're 5ft5 if you have a large bone structure? maybe you should work on toning and building muscle without necessarily losing any more weight? then yo ucan eat at maintenance and see how you feel?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would examine how aggressive your calorie deficit is.
    I would consider trying to shift more of your calories to the evening so you eat the majority at night, and see how you feel doing that.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i agree that 117 is a low goal for someone who isn't small framed. Maybe switching to maintenance will stop the binging because your body won't perceive "FAMINE! FAMINE! Store all incoming energy for the future." I think that it will be wise to up your calories and just change goals for now...lift weights and build muscle. Come back to your weight loss goal in 4-6 months after your weight has stabilized and your body has gotten a chance to recover. It's only 8ish pounds so it won't hurt to put it on pause and focus on strength gains and muscle tone. good luck!
  • cutedollface
    Options
    You are describing a common behavior among us chubbies... Every day awakening with good intentions, eating right and good until that fateful hour when an overwhelming hunger opens the gates and the horse is out and running. Again, the accompanying feelings of shame, guilt and remorse are devastating and debilitating.

You may be experiencing something as simple as a hormone imbalance. Ghrelin was discovered in 2007. It is secreted in the stomach, becomes imbalanced through obesity and gives the incorrect signal to the brain regarding satiety and hunger.

I had the same experience as you. I am focusing on re-balancing this hormone, as well as all the rest that are giving incorrect signaling secondary to my long history of obesity.

Intermittent fasting or IF apparently brings this back into balance. IF is accomplished as simply not eating any food (including coffee creamers) for a minimum of 5 hours. So, eat, stop, eat is what that looks like.

I am also including stimulating my olfactory nerve with any strong scent anytime I feel hunger. It's amazing the non-hunger I am having.

Hope this helps, Laurie aka dollface
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think you may have set a too low weight goal. When I was in respiratory school the calculation we learned for Ideal body weight(to base what size breath to give a patient on a ventilator) was 105lbs for 5 ft and add 5lbs for every inch over which would put your ideal at 130 being 5'5". I'd focus on fitness and healthy nutrition now, rather than a number on the scale.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Weighing 125 at your height is a great weight! You don't need to lose anymore weight. Most likely you're restricting your calories too much and it results in a binge. If you want to see changes in your body, focus less on the scale, up your calories and do some serious strength training. Make sure you're getting enough protein too! Between 85 and 100 grams.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This thread is a year old. Probably best if people stop replying at this point?