Carb/Fat/Protein Ratios

Options
Do you use MFP ratios that were provided for you or did you enter your own?

If you entered your own, what are they and why? I am trying to figure out what I "should" be using.

Thanks for the help and feel free to enter me as a friend :-)

Replies

• Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat...I'm folliowing a program by figure competitor Jamie Eason called LiveFit Trainer and this is the ratio that it recommends...more carbs to fuel exercise and protein to help repair muscles
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Mine are in my sig.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I used to do 40/40/20 but i find that the fat count is way too low

I do 45% carbs 30% fat and 25% protein right now
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, 20% is kinda low for me too compared to what I usually follow, which is 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat, but it's helped me get out of a weight loss stall, probably mostly because I switched things up :)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    No. For my workout schedule, because I lift a fair bit, I use more protein.

Here's what I did.

Calculated my total TDEE and take away 20% and that's my total goal to lose weight
    -figured about 180-190g of protein per day (it's about 1g/lb of target weight for me)
    -put fats at about 25% of TDEE
    -Calculate g of carbs based on the other two.
    -tried to get those percentages to fit in as best I could into MFP.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent resource to help you answer this question.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/nutrition/strategies.aspx
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I started with the whole 40/40/20 for carbs/proteins/fats because that's what a lot of books and people said was the best way to lose weight.

Then I started university and the more I learnt about science and the better I could understand the literature then I started paying a little less attention as overall any macronutrient ratio where your overall calorie intake is below your needs seems to work.

Furthermore, recent studies suggest that 20% protein is more than enough to meet the demands of individuals, even weightlifters. So now I eat along the lines of 60% carbs, 20% fat, 20% protein and that seems to still be working at keeping me lean, energised and losing body fat.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight eat 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat... make sure your carbs are complex carbs.. you could do 45% carbs, and 35% protein... but any more protein thatn that causes an excess nitrogen build up in your urine and is harmful to your health... Try to keep your fat mono or poly unsaturated fat

If you entered your own, what are they and why? I am trying to figure out what I "should" be using.

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sunshine, 20% is kinda low for me too compared to what I usually follow, which is 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat, but it's helped me get out of a weight loss stall, probably mostly because I switched things up :)

yea 40/30/30 is where I want to be at :] I was easing into it!

Switching it up is important too :] I just love olive oil/ avocado too much to limit it! xD
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    35% carbs/35% protein/30% fat
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Ratios will vary from person to person depending on their goals. The MFP and other sources provide a base point to start with. And you adjust it accordingly to where you see results. Mine is around 50P/30F/20C percent, but is always subject to change at any given point depending on my progress.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat but I don't really pay attention as long as I get 200g+ protein a day
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try to get 50/30/20
    Protein/Carb/Fat
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I set my minimum protein and fat values in grams, not in percentages.
    I stay at my caloric intake and let carbs fall where they may.

Currently cutting slowly (intentionally) at 2250kcal, 65g fat, 175g protein as minimal values, and I almost always exceed the protein min.