Low carb AND low calorie quiche recipe

Options
HonkyTonks
HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
I am looking for one! A search for low carb quiche recipes yielded lots of low carb but they were all high in calories. If you have a good one let me know!

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    bump. I love quiche.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You would need to find one that is crustless and maybe you could replace the egg with egg substitute and that would help. Sorry I don't have a recipe.
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello id like to know this but i think it will be difficult to find due to pastry eggs cheese cream etc, however you could make small ramekins of quiche like buffet size numbers but you could make it lower cals by added have fat cheese skimmed milk instead of cream low fat spread instead of butter lots of different veggie. you could also look at alternative flours rather than a wheat flour some may have lower cals.
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    South beach has a good breakfast quiche cup. It uses egg substitute. I will post it when I can.
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    Spinach Quiche

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    5 eggs, beaten
    3 cups shredded Muenster cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in spinach and continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
    In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan.
    Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

A DIFFERENT ONE--called a crusted crustless quiche:

Quiche for Low Carb Dieters
    Dieters who are trying to limit their carbohydrate consumption often avoid quiche either because of its high-carbohydrate crust, or because recipes for crustless quiches are unappealing. Now, however, there is a happy medium that quiche lovers can fit into their low carb diets. The following technique explains how to make a quiche that makes its own crust as it bakes, but still remains well within the low carb dieter’s carbohydrate limits.

The Crusted, Crustless Quiche is Composed of 2 Parts
    The savory custard base – this makes the delightfully thin low carb crust while it holds all the tart ingredients together.
    The quiche’s defining ingredients – the possibilities are endless, e.g., Spinach - Feta Quiche, Garden Vegetable Quiche, or Pizza Quiche.
    The Savory Quiche Custard Base
    The basis for this quiche is so simple and translates beautifully to work with any number of vegetable, meat or seafood ingredients.

Ingredients:
    2 large eggs
    2 large egg whites (or 6 tablespoons Egg Beaters ® liquid egg whites)
    ½ cup all purpose flour (whole wheat flour can be used)
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1 1/3 cups milk (any percentage of fat content works)
    Instructions:
    Beat together the eggs and egg whites.
    Add flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and milk.
    With a wire wisk, beat the mixture together until well combined.
    Set aside.
    The Quiche’s Defining Ingredients
    To prepare the defining ingredients, the cook simply decides whether it will be a vegetarian quiche or it will have a meat or seafood protein, and which cheese or cheeses and herbs will go well with them.

The custard will accommodate approximately 3 cups of chopped fresh vegetables, plus between 1 and 2 cups of crumbled or shredded cheese and other proteins.

To Assemble the Quiche
    Begin by greasing a 9” pie plate or deep tart pan.
    Any raw meat or seafood ingredients should be sautéed until nearly done, and excess fat should be drained.
    In the same skillet, sauté the selected fresh vegetables until they are tender-crisp. Onions should be translucent. Leafy greens, like spinach, should be just wilted.
    Drain excess water from the vegetables.
    Spread this mixture evenly into the greased pie plate.
    Pour the custard mixture over the quiche ingredients.
    Top with selected cheeses, if any.
    Bake at 400°F for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the top is nice and brown and the center of the quiche does not wobble.
    Allow quiche to rest for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
    Below are delicious possibilities for three different quiche flavor combinations. Each quiche is made using the same fast no-fuss method to help keep a healthy low carb diet meal plan on track.

Spinach - Onion - Feta Quiche
    1 medium onion, about one cup diced
    6 ounces fresh spinach, stemmed and roughly chopped
    ½ cup garlic and herb seasoned Feta cheese crumbles
    Serves 6, at 12.4g net carbohydrates per serving.

Summer Garden Vegetable Quiche
    1 cup onion, diced
    1 cup red bell pepper, diced
    ½ cup summer squash, sliced
    ½ cup fresh button mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup Monterrey Jack, Swiss or American Cheese, shredded
    Serves 6, at 13.5g net carbohydrates per serving.

Quick and Easy Pizza Quiche
    1 small can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    ½ cup bell pepper, diced
    1 cup onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    ½ cup pepperoni, sliced
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    Instructions:
    Lightly sauté the vegetables and pepperoni with Italian seasoning.
    After arranging the mixture in the pie plate, pour on the custard base.
    Drizzle the ketchup over the top of the quiche.
    Top with the Mozzarella cheese and bake as usual.
    Serves 6, at 16.4g net carbohydrates per serving
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Serves: 6
    Yield: 12 quiches ...

I use a full cup of egg substitute and spinkle most of the chees on top.

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
    3/4 cup low-fat cheese, shredded
    1/4 cup green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup onion, diced
    3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
    Directions:
    1Preheat oven to 350°F.2Microwave spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain excess liquid.3Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.4Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well.5Divide evenly among muffin cups.6Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thanks all they look so good!
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Soni82
    Soni82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do you mean like a frittata? There basically quiche without the pastry and just using a pan or pie dish - or a giant omlette.
    I usually make this (sorry about the lack of quantities, i usually make things by feel than measurements):

diced pumpkin (roasted if desired)
    onion
    spinach
    low fat fetta
    leek
    6 eggs
    Salt
    pepper
    garlic
    (i occasionally use grilled bacon for something different)

Just fry up everything in a pan, add the beaten eggs, sprinkle with feta and cook on low till the bottom sets then place in the oven till cooked.

Other things i use are grated zucchini, corn kernals and capsicum.

yum... now i feel like one!
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have had gastric bypass so eating low carb and low calorie is a priority for me. I follow a website called, Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com If you go to this site, she has tons of recipes for crustless egg bites which are crustless quiches. Check out her site, she has tons of recipes that everyone loves not only gb people. hope it was helpful. she is also on facebook. Jackie
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have several quiche recipes on my healthy breakfasts board on Pinterest, most are South Beach friendly recipes: www.pinterest.com/issypal