New Wonderful Food!

Options
So, since my family is eating healthier, we were getting bored of the standard banana, apple, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot combination in the house and we have really been branching out and trying new things. Things we would never have tried, bought, or let past our lips in the past.

Some new favorities in the house:

Fresh cranberries - no canned, jellied mess here, just fresh cranberries (pretty cheap this time of year too)
Fennel - not the seeds, but the stuff that looks like the base of celery. I love this stuff! I am currently eating it for every meal. I hate licorice, but I love this stuff!
Kiwi- the fur takes a bit of getting used to, but the kiwi mixes well with other fruits
Radishes- still not my favorite, but the kids love the crunchy, spicy kick
ginger - fresh ginger, we are using it in everything! Use extra for a spicy kick

These are just a few of the things we have started eating in our house. What about you?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    That's how you do it. :wink:
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We've discovered asparagus (never had it before). We love it roasted! We also roast potatoes and sweet potatoes a lot more than we used to. Just last week, I discovered patty pan squash... it's amazing. We've also been eating more stuffed peppers. It's been really fun finding new things to eat. I challenge my kids each week at the grocery store to find one new fruit or veggie for us to try that week. They have made a game out of it & helps me remember to try new things!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Nothing new, as I was already a well rounded eater. I do experiment with recipes a bit more though.

I just picked up cranberries yesterday. I always have homemade cranberry relish in the fridge at this time of year: just run a bag of cranberries and a whole orange (peel and all) through the food processor then add "sugar" (I use a substitute) to taste. YUMMY! I think the recipe is on the bag....at least with Ocean Spray brand.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's good your trying new foods. We are eating more fish, and pork, cooked different way.
    We tried quinoa not long ago, I liked it, hubby could take it or leave it. We started eatingi more sweet potatoes, they aren't my fav, but edible and very good for us! :)
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Try Jicama or Celery Root. The Jicama is good raw and sauted. The Celery Root is great mashed. Both are tubers - the celery root tends to have a lot of dirt in the upper third that has to be cut away. Good Luck!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We've discovered asparagus (never had it before). We love it roasted! We also roast potatoes and sweet potatoes a lot more than we used to. Just last week, I discovered patty pan squash... it's amazing. We've also been eating more stuffed peppers. It's been really fun finding new things to eat. I challenge my kids each week at the grocery store to find one new fruit or veggie for us to try that week. They have made a game out of it & helps me remember to try new things!

I LOVE this idea as we have young kids to! :)
  • dianaskin
    Options
    Fennel is my favourite too!!! One of the things I do with fennel is thickly slice it, brush a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle some salt and sprinkle a bunch of oregano and bake at 350 for a 1/2 hour. DELISH!!!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash...YUM taste great alone or with pasta sauce!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty good veggie eater. I tried celery root for the first time as a soup and loved it! Also kale raw for salads. I like the flat kale better than the curly kale for texture. Supposed to be a nutritional powerhouse! Only found bok choy so far that was "awful". Maybe baby bok choy is better. I tried parsnips before (white carrot looking things I think?) but could take them or leave them. So far have not ventured into turnips or rutabagas, either. Also on the list to try are mustard greens, collard greens, and dandelion greens. I know that beet greens are edible, too, but have not ventured to find out that when I buy beets with the greens on them if they are too big by then or not.
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    Acorn and butternut squashes are my 2 faves. For a quick snack/breakfast I just discovered Fiber One 90 calorie peanut butter chocolate bars. OMG good. Like... fix your cravings good.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tried the "generic" miracle noodles last week and really liked them and they taste pretty much like pasta so combined with some homemade tomato soup and meatballs, they made a delicious spagetti and they are cheap. Found them in the health food store in the refridgerated section for just over $1 a bag. 1 bag feeds 2
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love Kiwi!
  • crencibia
    crencibia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned kale...its great broken into bite size pieces, spread out on a lightly sprayed pan, sprinkled with chili powder, use the spray and spray some all over the kale (or sprinkle with EVO) and then bake in oven for about 5-8 min on 425...its SO GOOD. like potato chips