Fiber: Is this the secret to this whole diet?

Options
Is eating more Fiber the secret to this whole diet? In what I mean is, that it flushes you out more than other foods that have less fiber.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've been doing high fiber. I find it helps on days when I have overdid it with the sodium. I don't think its the key. I think you still have to monitor your calorie intake and some high fiber foods are also high in calories. It's a delicate balance, but fiber is definitely an intricate cog in the whole machine.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Yes! It keeps you fuller longer and cleans out the body. If you take fiber supps, be sure to drink enough water or you may get "clogged up".
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Not exactly. Fiber helps in that it helps keep things moving along- the more things move the better health wise but it doesn't mean you'll lose weight (well unless you've been backed up in which case I hear you can store like 5 pounds of "back-up" if it's bad).

The "Secret" so to speak of this "diet" is fewer calories in more calories out. Running at caloric deficit is the secret. There's no magic ingredient. It's all the ingredients in balance.

:drinker:
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    I eat a lot of fiber to keep me fuller due to being a cashier and some days you are so busy that you dont get your breaks and lunch when you should. But I also drink at least 4-6 or more glasses of water
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fiber is filling and doesn't metabolize.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    But if you had 4,000 calories worth of foods with fibre in a day, you wouldn't lose weight.

The bottom line is calories, at least in terms of weight loss.

Fibre is good though, but it's not the "secret". :)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    from a diabetics perspective, fiber in your diet helps slow down the absorbstion of sugar going into your bloodstream. Overall fiber helps keep your system healthy IMO. I helps in the digestion, body functions and elimination. But remember a diet high in fiber you must also have water water water. everything goes hand in hand in dieting...balanced and in moderation.