Measurements

Options
Ok, so I always had a kind of hourglass figure...but with a little more "sand" in the bottom...(WARNING personal info to follow please no judgements):

When I started with MFP in August my measurements were:

Now my measurements are

But after reading The Mayo Clinic Diet all of the clothing stores have us measuring our waist in the wrong place for considering things like risks for heart disease etc. and that it should be at the place where you last feel your hip bone..well I'm pretty squishy so that's hard. So, I added a third measurement to the previous counts and named them this way

#-bust
#-high waist
#-low waist (per mayo clinic)
#-low hip

When I started my low waist was 49, and is now down only an inch to 48.... I am feeling like I'm doing something wrong or maybe my body is disproportionate (sp?) Does anyone have any advice for why the numbers look this way? Am I just worrying too much and should just be glad any of them are moving down?? HELP!!! :) Thanks friends!

Also, what are your thoughts on the waist measurement thing...I have no clue?!

Replies

• ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I always measure the smallest part of my waist or around my belly button. iv never heard of the upper/lower waist measurements before
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the waist thing. My guess it to make sure you are feeling the hip bone (not the front pelvic area) and your waist should be there, it is on me anyway. Also, in my experience we women usually lose from the top down, I did - big time!
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've always measured the smallest part of waist just under my ribs and then at my belly button, because right at the belly button is the worst LOL always bigger and where it sticks out... so I'm glad when that measurement has gone down a little, and it seems to take forever.
  • Christina_Stoner
    Options
    First of all....GOOD JOB on your progress!!!!!! You are doing awesome. Ive never heard of those measurements either. I measure above my hip/below my belly button for "waist". I do have a spot thats a few inches smaller between my rib cage and belly button, but I dont consider that my waist!
  • awkwwward
    Options
    With all respect to the Mayo Clinic, I kinda feel like that's BS. They call it a "hip bone" for a reason - that's where your hips are! The top of my hips is where my waist is as well (both according to that and according to my body) so I guess I just don't understand why your waist would be otherwise. That being said, much like weight...inches don't always move as quickly as we'd like them to. You'll get there!
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    I've not heard of that either - I started measuring when I stopped losing and I wanted to watch something decreasing!

I measure at my natural waistline which is kinda at navel level
  • Fabulous1nsideout
    Options
    The way it works out is that at most retail stores/tailors etc they measure your waist below your ribs and above your belly button...which is where the 39 comes from...then according to the Mayo measurement which is at the bottom of the belly button where for me (aside from my booty) I'm the biggest (thank you Depo Provera ugh) and that gets me to the 48...ugggghhhhh