Sodium Intake

Options
I was told by the doctor that I need to watch how much sodium I take in. Well I am so hooked on counting calories and sodium is not at the top of the list... I dont eat much frozen foods unless its vegetables or other foods like Ramen Noodles and things such as that. So pretty much I'm wondering what is the set amount of sodium per day is a person suppose to consume? I was doing some research and its seem that 2300 mg is the magic number is that about right!

:flowerforyou: :smile: :laugh: :tongue: :glasses:

Replies

• krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    2300mg is the general dietary guideline.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My research has also shown a maximum sodium intake of 2300 daily; good luck!
  • chrisaydin
    chrisaydin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    why did he tell you need to watch how much sodium you take in? do you have high BP? do you take a fish oil? How much water do you drink daily?

sodium intake depends on how much you sweat/workout
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Right now, MFP has it set at 2,500 mg/day standard. The FDA recently lowered it to 1,500 mg/day. I was told the same thing by my doctor and have tried to keep it between the two.
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    I too have problems with sodium intake and last night i researched and found it, yes it is 2300 for women! I am usually over every day!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    1500 is the guideline, 1200 if you are 50 or over. You really have to watch the labels on processed and canned foods, they sneak it in many different kinds of foods. If you eat a whole foods diet (unprocessed, home prepared) it is a lot easier to keep count.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You should track it in your diary. Also, potassium counters the effects of sodium. I also track that in my diary and try to make the two even out. High fiber foods is another good way to counter sodium. Sodium is one of the harder macros to keep in line. I would be hard pressed to stay below 1500 mg a day but I have gotten pretty good at staying under MFP's goal of 2500 mg a day.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    poohbear, when you shop next time at the grocery, its best to do ALL you shopping using the perimeter of the store......stay out of the middle aisles............dairy, fresh fruits and vegetables, along with fresh meat are all on the perimeter, or at least for most stores........

according to our Dr Oz, 90% of what you should be eating to keep sodium in check is located on the perimeter of the store.........all, or most of all the processed foods contain salts and sugars for preserving longivity.

also, sodium not only increases high blood pressure, but it elevates cholesterol....................Im finally off of high blood press meds, but by avoiding all , or most sodiums, Im now med free with a total cholesterol reading of 131, down from 200...........cool, huh?

Best wishes, Lloyd
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Right now, MFP has it set at 2,500 mg/day standard. The FDA recently lowered it to 1,500 mg/day. I was told the same thing by my doctor and have tried to keep it between the two.

False, the FDA is considering lowering the recommendation to 1500, but that won't go into effect until 2020, if it happens at all. The current recommendation is 2300mg a day, unless you are in a high risk category, then it will be lower. The American Heart Association recommends at least 1500 a day to replace sodium lost through sweat.

There's no one good answer. It depends on activity level. A sedentary person who gets no activity might only lose 500 mg a day, an extremely active person might lose 3000 mg a day. It's nearly impossible to come up with one catch all number.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    , potassium counters the effects of sodium.

^ This is worth noting. While it would be a bit harder to manage than just reducing sodium, I would make an effort to increase potassium intake.
  • Poohbear83
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.....yes i was told by my doctor that I have high blood pressure! So I am trying to stay under the intake of sodium and watch my cholesterol as well and I will tell you its not easy!
  • Poohbear83
    Options
    poohbear, when you shop next time at the grocery, its best to do ALL you shopping using the perimeter of the store......stay out of the middle aisles............dairy, fresh fruits and vegetables, along with fresh meat are all on the perimeter, or at least for most stores........

according to our Dr Oz, 90% of what you should be eating to keep sodium in check is located on the perimeter of the store.........all, or most of all the processed foods contain salts and sugars for preserving longivity.

also, sodium not only increases high blood pressure, but it elevates cholesterol....................Im finally off of high blood press meds, but by avoiding all , or most sodiums, Im now med free with a total cholesterol reading of 131, down from 200...........cool, huh?

Best wishes, Lloyd

THAT IS WONDERFUL CONGRATS TO YOU...AND THE GROCERY STORE, AS MUCH AS I GO AND USED TO WORK AT ONE THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! THX