Forgot My Lunch

Options
Hey MFP Community,

So I left my apt. in a rush and forgot my lunch. I'll have to go out and pick something up, but want to eat healthy, but filling. There are not many good places to eat nearby, but there is a pretty good grocery store. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cody

Replies

• surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'd try the Deli section---- maybe they'll have some cut up fruit, veggies, or deli meats. salad bar, soup bar...
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    if there is a grocery store, then either grab a steam fresh healthy choice meal or a package of flavored tuna paired with a 40 cal. individual brocolli cheese tray. no excuses!!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad kit. Wheat crackers. Apple. Bag of raw sugar snap peas.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    my flat mate also forgot her lunch today.....i could mail it to you ? :)
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave, I suggest grabbing a can of soup. But the other suggestion of grabbing a quick sandwich and salad from the deli is good too!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I have to do this I get an apple or a Naked juice drink. Sometimes an individual hummus thingie that comes with pretzels or crackers.

If I'm lucky the place has vegetable sushi.
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    Try the grocery store... Buy a pear, an orange, then get a 1/2 qt carton of non fat milk, the deli for 4-6 oz of shaved turkey, and that should do it. Oh, grab a bottle of water you will be set. ... Don't forget to write what you bite! Have a great day!
  • 750psi
    750psi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    McDonald's "South West grilled chicken salad"!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Well, it all depends on what you like. You could pick up spinach or mixed green salad they make at the deli along with a tuna sub on oatbran or wheat bread with lettuce, onions, spinach, banana peppers, green peppers, black pepper, a touch of vinegar and a little honey mustard...(just a little).
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    pre-made salad and go light on the dressing, veggie spring rolls, or a frozen meal and heat it up at work
  • GateCrasher1
    GateCrasher1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning toward the deli section, though tuna sounds good. I had salmon last night and it was gooooood. Of course, I'll take your flatmate's lunch too, if it looks good. Thanks for the offer sammy!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk...the answer is always chocolate milk.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    I would get a cup of plain yogurt, a banana, a small bag of grapes and a small portion of dried fruit/nuts or a Lara bar.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    if i was starving and i wento the grocery store, i'd probably eat everything in site! but just go STRAIGHT for the produce section/deli section, your more likely to find "healthier" options there. i've noticed more places have salad bars....get s ome sald and soup with crackers or salad and half a sandwich.... or a fruit salad, they have individual ones there usually.....
  • GateCrasher1
    Options
    Lots of suggeastions for salads, fruits, and yogurt. I'm not sure I can survive on fruits and nuts alone. I'm 6'1" 215lbs and while I want to drop some weight, I still need some solid protein. With that said, you guys are great. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I really appreicate it.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It consists of 2 slices of bread a small pot of baked beans, a bunch of grapes and an apple muller rice.

She must be starving, the poor thing, it's 3.45 pm

:-)
  • mjshmily
    mjshmily Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A lot of groceries sell rotisserie chicken and you can buy a 1/4. Remove skin and pick up a premade salad and add to it. You might also want to stock up on a few things for emergencies like this. I ALWAYS keep one frozen low cal dinner in the freezer at work in case i forget lunch and cannot leave. I also have my food drawer. It usually has rice cakes, melba toast, an apple and a can of tuna. And I always leave a couple containers of yogurt in the lunchroom fridge. I am notorius for forgetting lunch!
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I forgot my lunch too. I had packed my fruits, lunch, yogurt everything and forgot the whole bag on the counter! :( I almost cried when I realized!

If it's a good grocery store, may be they have a salad bar? That's what I am going to do today.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Okay just saw your response about being a big guy and not wanting to eat salad/fruit/nuts etc:)

The salad bar at the grocery store I go to has more than just salad! They have different kinds of hot food, gravy, mediterranean bar etc. I fill my container with salad and eggs and then top it with large chicken breast or fish from the hot food bar. I hope you are able to do something like that!
  • GateCrasher1
    Options
    Quick update-

So, I couldn't find anything really appealing in the deli department, so I went with a cup of blueberry yogurt, a small banana, and a fruit and nut bar. All the things I said wouldn't satisfy me looked pretty good. We'll see how long it fills me up. Again, thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.