Motivational help needed

Options
Okay the last 3 weeks have been bad. Off my weight loss game. Lots of stress and the scale is up about 5 pounds. I started this off with reasons but are they really excuses. I think so, everytime life gets super hectic I can't be gaining 5 pounds! I am trying to take this one meal at a time. I am kinda motivated, and really upset with my self. What a giant step backwards. I am going to have breakfast, walk my dog and go for a run. Just found out I have a meeting at 1:30 today, wish I had the 2 hours that I will be in the meeting for me. Wishing is not reality.

Any ideas on how to keep focus when the job takes over everyday life would be helpful. Yes I am an emotional eater. Generally I like my job, I deal with clients so I have to accomodate their schedules.

Help me get and stay on track

Replies

• Revcminor
    Options
    I have the exact same issues. When things get busy, I get off track with my eating and exercise. Would also love some ideas from others about how to manage all of that.
  • Thundasmurf
    Options
    get some good snacks to get your through the day. You should eat 4-6 times per day. This will take less time and help you with your time management making time for your meetings. You can do it. if you can rely on one thing is portion control as long as you focus on that your metabolism will stay up even when you are hectic.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When you have some down time, can you develop a strategy for when things DO get busy? Cook a bunch of stuff and package it into meal-sized, grab and go containers that you just need to pop in the microwave for a minute or two? Or - quicker yet - Lean Cuisines / Pockets (I know, evil if you're watching sodium, but better than drive-thrus.) Can you add food to your diary ahead of time so you're not stressing about what to eat on top of stressing about everything else? Same w/ exercise - are you more likely to do it if it's already there in your diary?

I'm suggesting this stuff because when you're stressed, in my opinion it's more important than ever to treat yourself well - eating right, sleeping, exercise, etc. Being healthy in that regard can help you deal with the outside stressors. It does for me, anyway. When I give in and eat stuff that isn't good for me, I don't have enough energy to cope with everything else that's coming down the pipe.
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well I have to say that many of us have the same issue. first do not beat yourself up or dwell on the backstep. Keep your eye on the goal of fitness and good health.

Secondly and most importantly, plan, plan, plan. For the next week, at least, plan each days meals the day before, including snacks. write it down if you need to. package it up if you need to. and take things with you to work or in your bag or purse that will keep you satisfied and reduce the temptations. remember this is a lifelong change and it will take time. take your steps to move forward each day. fruit is always good. pretzels if you need crunch. raisins. sugar free candy - (look at calories and portion size).
    If meetings involve food (lunch out) you know what to do and you can do that.

Also plan your workouts and program an alarm on your phone. Put it on your schedule however you schedule meetings and stick to it.

So I have given you a few hints but mostly look at what throws you off and figure out what tricks and planning you can do to make sure that you stay as closely to your plan as you can. Remember you can do this, you will do this. Take a little time for yourself to reduce the stress.
  • cwesse
    cwesse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try to start working out in the morning. It is a hard routine to get into, but then you are done for the day, and if something comes up no big deal your workout is done.
    I also pack my lunch and snacks everyday. This way I know what I am eating and don't go buy something unhealthy just because it is fast. I will make big batches of food and freeze them in portion size containers so everything is ready to grab and go quickly.
    If having to go out for lunch is not an option because it is a lunch meeting or something look at websites and decide what you are going to eat before going (Dottie's Weight Loss Zone is a good one, not many restaurants aren't on there), and then don't even look at the menu when you get there to try and temp you into something else. Or if it is being catered in request something healthy be ordered to whoever is putting the order in.
    There is always going to be times when you can't get around blowing your calories and not working out, the key is not to let those days out number the days you are healthy.
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions and comments. It is motivational knowing that I am not alone in this weight loss battle. Yesterday I stuck to my calorie count (even thought it is not all entered in yet and today is off to a good start. Time to walk my dog before I go in to work.

It is going to be a good day 'cause I said so. That is my motto for today:wink:
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have the exact issue as me. I made a conscious decision this week "No more cheating!" I've been reading success stories from people that have lost massive amounts of weight in 8-10 months. Sticking hard core to eating healthy & exercise is the recurring theme... Allowing myself this or that has not gotten me anywhere.

Good luck!